chapter two

"What if they body ain't there anymore?" Vern asks while being the slowest walker.

"Then i'll beat your ass because you had to get food." Chris asks all lovely after that 'threat' and bumped into Gordie. He gazes Gordie's eyes and doesn't realize that he asked a question.

"What are you staring at?" Gordie questions, obviously knowing the answer.

"Oh i saw a squirrel run up the tree." Chris lies and quickly looks at the rocks below his feet.

"Uh oh." Teddy mumbles.

All the boys look at what Teddy is looking at. A narrow train track that's hovering over a 100 foot drop to nothing but water. A very long, narrow bridge all four boys have to walk across to finally arriving at their destination.

"Do any of you know when the next train is?" Gordie asks while touching the rails.

"Not a clue but if we keep wasting our time we will meet up with it by the time we get to end." Chris says while being the first to walk over the track. Gordie quickly follows behind not wanting to face Teddy. He turns around and sees that Vern is on all fours crawling while Teddy is looking over the edges.

"Hey Chris?" Gordie whispers.

"Yea man?"

"Are you ready to see a dead body?" He looks somber right in Chris's eyes while Chris chuckles.

"If i didn't wanna see a dead body, would i be here walking to find it?" He softly nudges his shoulder, not too hard though.

"That's fair." Gordie looks at the ground.

"What are ya guys talking 'bout?" Teddy asks.

"Your mom." Chris snapper back.

"You don't speak about my mother like that." Teddy says while pulling up Vern off his all fours so they can catch up to te other two boys.

"Uh guys. Do you hear that?" Gordie asks while bending down to touch the rails. "Train!" Gordie screams and starts to run to end of the track.

They're all a little bit the halfway mark of the track, so they have to run fast in order to not get killed. Gordie can hear Teddy yelling again Vern to hurry up and quickly run. Since Vern is the chubbiest, his runs aren't that fast. Gordie is right about to make it to end of the track when he hears Chris running up from behind him. Gordie gets scared and hops off the last few steps into the grass. Chris hurried up to him to pull him to start yelling for Vern and Teddy to hurry up. The train is already on the track above the water and Vern and Teddy are a few more sprints away. Once they make near the end of the track they hear Chris yell 'jump!' So that's what they did, they jumped. Not in the water, just on a few rocks and muddy grass.

Chris and Gordie tease Vern and Teddy doesn't do anything.

"Why aren't you mocking him man?" Chris wonders.

"Cause we were almost killed! If he hadn't of jumped i would've died!" Teddy exclaims while getting off the ground and rubbing his hands on his pants to get most of the dirt off. He also helps Vern to get up.

"He's right." Gordie says while shoving his backpack off his shoulder to grab a Root Beer. "Hey guys wanna drink?" Gordie says while holding up the warm beverage. They all said yes so they took sips from that bottle. Even though they bought four, they didn't want to waste anything.

Gordie notices Chris looking up at the sky. Admiring the way the clouds move and how far the sun is.

"We have a few more hours until the sun goes down." Chris warned and starts walking into the forest.

Gordie quickly follows behind to catch up to him. The walk side by side. Vern and Teddy walk by them walking faster than they are so they don't have to be stuck behind them.

"Hey Chris?" Gordie says while still looking down at his legs walking in front of each other, left right left right left right, while his arms are dangling from his sides swinging back and forth, back and forth.

"Yea? You tired?" Chris worries.

"No." He says looking up at Vern and Teddy that are couple feet a head of them.

"Then what is it?" He questions.

"Have you ever thought differently about yourself?" He shoots his glance up at Chris and holds it.

"You gotta be more specific." Chris chuckles.

"No i'm good, nevermind." He lies. Wanting to ask personal questions but just can't. Can't do it when the other two are close by.

"Yes." He finally answers.

"Yes?" Gordie echoes.

"Yes. Let's now just get ahead of the other two and find a good place to sleep." He insists walking quicker and passes by Vern and Teddy not talking.

Gordie stays behind the others. His mind quickly asking himself questions. Needing to know all the answers. Needing more. He notices his eyes start to tear up. He quickly wipes his eyes but he didn't realize fast enough.

"Hey man you alright?" Chris puts his arm around his friend.

"Yea i don't know what happening." He tries to chuckle it off but Chris doesn't give in.

"Hey guys! It's getting dark out i think we should find a place to go to sleep and roast some food." Chris hollers to the other two walking on the track. Chris then pulls Gordie down to the woods with Vern and Teddy following behind.

"Ohhhhh." Teddy chuckles and Vern echoes him.
"OhhHhHhh." Vern says.

Chris snickers his head back and lifts his arm from Gordie and give them the middle finger. He lays his arm back on Gordie and notices that he's blushing. He smirks and leads him to a vacant area in the woods. With Vern and Teddy following close behind, Chris can't really talk to Gordie because the boys will hear. So right when the boys fall asleep he will try.

Teddy and Chris take turns to watch over the boys sleep, rotating every time one of them gets tired. They would sit near the tree that is only a couple feet away from their fire they made. Gordie on the left side of the fire and Vern on the right side. Chris knows that Vern could never watch over three sleeping boys, and he he's letting Gordie go to sleep since he knows the rough shit he's going through.

"Just go to sleep Teddy i'll take it from here."

"You sure man? Cause i can just stay up here and wait till dawn."

"No man, go to sleep."

That's the last thing Chris said to Teddy that night. He needs all the boys to go to sleep or he wouldn't have time to himself. He likes sitting out at night, digesting his thoughts in his head. The other three boys don't know that Chris brought a '45 gun.