Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

08. Goodbye

Raelyn had been at work for a couple of hours before she decided to take a break. One of the great perks of working at the coffee shop was free coffee. She grabbed herself a cup and sat down at one of the farthest seats looking out of the window.

She took out her phone and started to look for a job. She knew she needed one that paid well, and if she could keep her job here as well that would be preferable. If need be she would get a third job for weekends.

Raelyn had already decided she would have to quit university. Just temporarily though, until she saved enough money for the surgery. There would always be time for her to go back and complete her degree. She was already partway through her final year anyway.

Scrolling through the job ads she was startled when someone tapped her on the shoulder.

"Ah, sorry, didn't mean to startle you my love" replied Richard, who casually placed his hand back on Raelyn's shoulder.

"Oh, Richard, good to see you again," Raelyn said while moving off her chair which forced Richard's hand off her shoulder. She didn't much care for Richard but he was Ethan's friend so she wanted to be nice.

"Looking for a new job I see," he pointed in the direction of her phone while taking a sip of his coffee. She wondered how long he had been standing over her shoulder.

"Um, yes, well, another job really," she replied getting fidgety and nervous.

"Job market isn't the best at the moment but if I see anything I'll let you know," said Richard.

"That would be great, thanks," a small smile forming on her lips. Perhaps he isn't too bad after all, maybe a little bit less handsy would be nice though, thought Raelyn.

"Anyway, just thought I would come over and say hi, I've got to head back to the office. Take care," said Richard as he walked out of the cafe.

***

Ethan went back to the cafe for this usual coffee just before closing time. He still had to keep up appearances while he was finishing up the case which meant keeping to his usual routine. He was scheduled to hand in his paperwork tomorrow.

He hadn't seen or heard from Raelyn since their date. He asked the store owner Susan where she was to which she replied that Raelyn was taking some personal time off.

Ethan had an internal war with himself. He wanted to see her again but he also needed to maintain his distance. He kept on replaying the same mantra in his mind that his job was too dangerous to keep anyone close.

He walked through the door expecting to see Susan again when he locked eyes with Raelyn standing behind the counter. A small smile escaped his lips before falling back to a hard line.

As he drew closer to the counter concern washed him as he noticed her. Her eyes were blotchy like she had been crying, dark circles were stretched under her eyes peeking through underneath her mask of makeup. He wondered how bad she actually looked without all of the makeup covering her face. He could see the worry lines across her forehead and the tiredness that seeped into her eyes.

Ethan watched as Raelyn ran her hand along the back of her neck in an attempt to relieve some of the pent up tension as she let out a drawn-out sigh.

"What's wrong," Ethan blurted out when he got closer to her.

"Nice to see you too Ethan" Raelyn turned around to start making his usual coffee.

"I'm sorry, you just look so....tired," he said, wondering if that was the best way to describe her.

"I'm fine Ethan, nothing a good nights sleep can't fix," she said while adding milk to the coffee.

"Please Raelyn, just tell me what's wrong," Ethan asked again.