#follower

Pam was 71 followers shy of hitting the half a million mark. She had done the math with trepidation that morning. A misunderstood post, a disgruntled follower, an advertisement campaign gone awry ... There were so many reasons that could cost her a follower. What she couldn't fathom was that the price was very dear.

She quickly put her phone on airplane mode when she saw her mother's name pop up on the screen. She knew exactly why she was calling. Pam had recently done a 'bare it all' campaign for a skin product. What this meant specifically is that she had to strip down to not only the minimum necessities, but to no necessities while shooting the advertisement. Her mother wouldn't understand the 'art' of it all. How her posture, shadows created by the lighting and strategically placed limbs were positioned to conceal her nether regions. Her mother would surely yank  her head off if she knew that the shoot was done in a room of at least fifteen people, ten of who were male.

She turned on her laptop and clicked on the link of the so called risque photoshoot. It was tastefully done, but she was cock sure that her mother would think she was better off soliciting for special favours in the red light district. This was nonetheless a dalliance with her career, and she couldn't reason with her mother on that.

Pam smiled as she recalled the past, when she was a naive girl who didn't even own any stylish clothing, let alone a smudge of make-up.

Her skin glowed in the advertisement. It was a polished picture which hid all her blemishes and curated a picturesque presentation which the world demanded of her.

She scanned the page of a famous athlete that she had recently followed. Seven days and counting and he still hadn't followed back. Pam thought that this was voodoo at its best. Who could resist her charm and the popularity that it offered? Apparently, there was one person who could.

Unfortunately, she had another pair of shoes to deal with. The mysterious message.