Chapter 19

"What do you mean, Kayla?"  I gulped as Derek frowned at me.  "What did you see?"  I closed my eyes, recovering every detail.

"It was dark, but I was at school, following Lydia down the hall.  She went into a classroom and found herself cornered by this woman...  I can't recall who she was, but she looked very familiar.  She came at me, or Lydia, because I don't think I was actually there, but, when she did, Lydia screamed.  That's when I saw the person drop dead and everyone panicking and Deucalion..."  Dad nodded and helped me up.

"It's okay, Kayla.  It was just a dream."  I calmed a little more, knowing he was just saying that to help me relax.  I looked out the window and saw it was early in the morning.  I frowned.

"What happened?  I thought Derek wouldn't be home yet, and I though Mr. Argent left."  Dad shook his head.

"Chris decided it would be best if he stayed, and I was too tired to argue.  Derek had just gotten in when the two of us woke up to you screaming.  We all came in and thought it would be best to wake you before you woke the neighbors."  He kissed my head.  "It's okay now, Kayla.  Go back to sleep..."  I shook my head.

"No..."  Yeah, it was 5:30, and I wasn't supposed to be up until 7:00, but I couldn't.  "I can't...  Not after the nightmares."  Derek smiled at Dad.

"I'll stay up with her.  I wasn't exactly planning on going to bed anytime soon."  Dad thought for a second before he nodded.

"Alright...  Thanks.  It's been a long night..."  I bowed my head, feeling terrible.

"Sorry, Dad."  He chuckled as he gave me a hug and kissed my forehead.

"It's okay, Kayla.  Goodnight.  I'll see you when you get home from school, okay?"  I nodded and hugged him back.  "Love you."

"I still don't think this is a good idea, Kayla.  I mean, with your nightmares..."  Derek put the car in park.  "What if it wasn't after dark?  You and Lydia could be in danger."  I shook my head.

"No, it was after dark.  I was in the hallways, not the boiler room or the basement.  Lydia and I are safe until nightfall."  He sighed and shook his head at me.

"Alright..."  Pulling out his phone, he waited a bit, typing something in before he unlocked the door.  "I just told Scott and Issac to keep an eye on the two of you today."  I rolled my eyes.

"Alright, cousin.  Geez, you're starting to sound like Dad."  He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"And you sound like Mom."  I smirked.

"Maybe that's a good thing.  You may need Mom more than ever."  I opened the door.  "Derek...  I'll be just fine.  But, please, stop worrying."  He leaned over and lowered his voice.

"When I touched you, I saw what you were seeing.  Be careful, Kayla.  Peter and I can't risk losing you again."  I looked down at the ground and nodded.

"You won't...  I promise I won't let it happen, Derek."  He nodded as I shut the door.  I turned around to face the school.  "Goddess help me if I lose either of you again."

"Kayla!"  I looked from the inside of my locker to see Aiden and Ethan coming right at me.  Aiden slammed his fist into the locker beside mine, making me flinch.  "Why'd you run off like that?!?  You could have been taken or killed!  Deucalion's been worried sick about you!  You seriously think that those losers can help you more than any of us?!?"  I trembled slightly as Issac and Scott came up.

"Kayla!"  Scott stopped short when he saw Aiden and Ethan.  "Aiden...  She knows what she's doing.  She's saving your lives."  Aiden turned and glared at him.

"She decided to abandon us...  That's what she did."  I felt the tears well up in my eyes.

"Aiden!"  He stopped and turned to me as I hung my head.  "He's right...  You both are.  I realized what kind of trouble I was in, I got scared.  So, hoping to avoid further bloodshed, I thought leaving and figuring out what the hell I need to do to get out of all this before someone else dies.  I'd never forgive myself if one of who got hurt because of what happens to me."  I swallowed and blinked, trying not to cry.  "Running off was the hardest thing I could possibly do, but I had to.  I had to figure out what I need to do in order to control myself so that if I do even consider killing anyone or before anyone was killed."  Ethan frowned.

"Wait, so what you're saying is the person who attacked you came back, hoping to use your curse?"  I nodded.  He and Aiden exchanged looks.  "So that's what you meant in the letter?  I'm in some major trouble.  As much as I hate this, I know it's what's best for all of us.  I don't want to hurt anyone.  It's not you who will hurt us, but this idiot who had the goal to attack and nearly killed you?"  I nodded.  Aiden hung his head as he gave me a hug.

"Why didn't you ever say anything about it?  We all would have done what we could to protect you."  I sniffed and fought my tears.

"I know...  But, I had to go.  I couldn't let her kill you because of me.  Ennis died protecting me, and I can't let you die, too."  I looked at Ethan as Aiden pulled away.  "I may not actually be your sister or your mate, but I am your friend."  Ethan smiled and nodded.

"Alright...  But, we swore to protect you, and we stand by our word."  He looked at Scott and Issac, who stood by, watching.  "This was our problem before it was your's."  He looked back at me.  "Please...  Come back with us.  Deucalion will know what to do."  I shook my head.

"I can't...  I've seen something else.  More death..."