Chapter 4: The tell-tale's birthday

Having restrained themselves for nearly a month, it was Friday, December 14 and the three girls could wait no longer.

It would be Christmas break soon and with another week about to end, they decided it was high time for Natalie's long-delayed punishment.

They had a plan to make the victim stay behind after school and they were prepared to stay for as long as it might take for her to learn her lesson.

They had decided this when they had spotted Natalie arriving at school that morning wearing a cute new midriff-high white denim jacket and looking almost confident.

"How dare that nerd parade around in nice clothes looking happy?", they thought to themselves.

Natalie had a pretty good last few weeks, generally free of bullying apart from the usual ignorant remarks. She was feeling much happier and looking forward to the Christmas holidays.

She had told a teacher about the bullying so now she was safe, wasn't she? Or so she thought.

The bullies had no idea that today was Natalie's 16th birthday and the jacket was her present.

Or that her mum was meant to be picking her up straight after school to bring her home for a birthday tea with her Irish dancing friends.

Nat's tormentors had struck gold without even realising it - yet.

It was 3.30pm and the last bell had just sounded. It was time for the weekend to start and most of the class filed out instantly.

Never quite so quick to leave, Natalie was still sitting at her desk, happily minding her own business and packing up all her stuff. It seemed to take her forever – she still had pens, pencils and books all over her table.

Oblivious to anyone around her, she was looking forward to getting home for her birthday tea.

Behind her, Allison, Kelly and Michelle hovered around silently, blocking the victim's path to the door while simultaneously keeping an eye on the corridor in case any teachers were still around.

Michelle was on lookout duty and once the coast was clear, she was to shut the classroom door and that would be the signal for them to get started.

Michelle had to wait for a couple of teachers who were having a chat in the corridor to disappear back into their offices. When they did, Michelle pushed the door shut, knowing they had a couple of hours before the caretaker even began doing his rounds. 

With that, Allison stooped down and pulled Natalie's shoe right off her foot and held it up like a trophy in front of her giggling friends.

"Stand up if you want your shoe back, tell-tale", Allison told her.

Despite her surprise at their sudden intrusion, Natalie failed to get out of her seat instantly, so Kelly pushed everything on the small girl's desk onto the floor.

"She meant now", Kelly told her.

"O-kay then," Natalie said as she looked towards the classroom door, as if hoping to be saved. But with that door closed, nobody could see into the room from any angle.

Natalie continued: "But you know if you bully me then you'll get in trouble, cause you remember what Mr Douglas said?"

Against the instructions of the bullies, Natalie was still sitting in her seat, trying to reason with them. It was a big mistake. 

"Oh yeah," said Kelly, "We forgot that, didn't we girls? Yes of course we'd better be nice to you cause the teacher said so."

Natalie: "Yes you're right. If you just leave me alone now and return my property then I won't tell, I promise."