Idioms

: an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements, as kick the bucket or hang one's head, or from the general grammatical rules of a language, as the table round for the round table, and that is n...

: an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements, as kick the bucket or hang one's head, or from the general grammatical rules of a language, as the table round for the round table, and that is not a constituent of a larger expression of like characteristics.

Everyone knows or remembers hearing or reading them even once in life. These phrases both confuse and amuse us. Here are some of the classics:

"It's raining cats and dogs today." -Meaning it was raining very hard.

"Sorry I'm not my usual charming self today, I'm feeling a bit under the weather." -Meaning to feel ill or sick.

"That geometry homework was a piece of cake." -Meaning it was very easy.

"My Nutella habit was getting out of hand so I decided to go cold turkey." -Meaning to give up or quit instantly, immediately.

Now read these and tell me what you think;

💡
"Bob's your uncle!"
Definition: Usually used to conclude a set of instructions, much like the French 'et voilà!'.
Example: "Just add a dash of salt and Bob's your uncle!"

💡
"A different kettle of fish."
Definition: Referring to an alternative/a different thing altogether
Example: "I loved the first film but the sequel is a different kettle of fish."

💡
"Donkey's years."
Definition: A very long time.
Example: "I haven't read that book in donkey's years."

💡
"To go pear-shaped"
Definition: Describing something that has gone wrong.
Example: "Good thing you left when you did - it all went a bit pear-shaped after Andy started handing out gloves and whistles."