The Empty Child

The Alchemist ran into the TARDIS console room only a few hours later, the TARDIS shaking violently, the Doctor running around the console. "What the hell are you doing?" she shouted.

"Following!" was all the Doctor replied as he worked at the console.

"Following what?!"

The Doctor pointed. "That!"

The Alchemist frowned, checking the monitor before blinking. "Mauve?!" She frowned at him. "What did you do this time?"

"Who said it was me?" he protested.

Rose chose that moment to enter the console room. "What's the emergency?" she asked.

The Alchemist patted the monitor. "It's mauve," she answered, going around the console to see what she could do to help.

"Mauve?" Rose repeated.

"The universally recognized color for danger," the Alchemist explained.

"What happened to red?"

"That's just humans," the Doctor replied, waving a hand. "By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings. All those red alerts, all that dancing." He shook his head. "It's got a very basic flight computer. I've hacked in, slaved the TARDIS."

"You did what to her?" the Alchemist shouted angrily.

The Doctor ignored her. "Where it goes, we go."

"And that's safe, is it?" Rose asked.

The Doctor nodded. "Totally."

"Not!" the Alchemist shouted when something went bang close by her, making her fling her arm up over her eyes.

"OK, reasonably," the Doctor said hurriedly. "Should have said reasonably there."

"We're jumping time tracks," the Alchemist reported, looking at another monitor. "It's getting away!"

"What exactly is this thing?" Rose asked.

The Alchemist frowned at the Doctor. "Yeah, what is it?"

"No idea," the Doctor admitted.

The Alchemist groaned. "That is just like you."

"Then why are we chasing it?" Rose asked.

The Doctor pointed to the scanner. "It's mauve and dangerous, and about thirty seconds from the center of London!"

The Alchemist blinked. "OK, I'll give you that."

***

"How long can we knock around space without having to bump into Earth?" the Alchemist asked as they stepped out of the TARDIS into an alley.

"About five days," Rose replied before looking at the Doctor. "Or is that just when we're out of milk?"

The Alchemist blinked, looking at the Doctor. "Really?"

He rolled his eyes. "Of all the species in the universe, and it has to come out of a cow."

The Alchemist put her face in her hands, sighing. "I can't believe you."

Rose patted her shoulder as the Doctor continued. "Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago. Maybe a month."

"A month?" Rose repeated in a bit of surprise. "We were right behind it!"

"It was jumping time tracks," the Alchemist tried to explain. "It was all over the place. We'd have to come out a little bit out."