Alone At A Drive In Movie.

The following weekend, I offer to drive Lucas to the drive-in. This will be quite a night, considering I've never been to a drive-in movie theatre. It's chilly, but thank God I brought a sweater.

The movie we're watching is a family movie, making Lucas cry a little bit, as he lost his mom and twin brother. I turn to him, offering my condolences.

"Don't apologize," he replies. "It's nice on the hood of the car, hm?"

"Yeah," I sigh. "It's so peaceful out here. The stars are out. All shiny... and pretty. But, you... you are the brightest star in the world."

Lucas blushes a little bit, and we continue to watch the movie. And it is a real tear jerker. The soundtrack goes along with it, too.

I lean over towards Lucas, stare at him for a little bit, and zone out entirely. Then, I start to talk about ridiculous moments I shared with Jeff and the gang.

"So, it turns out to be a rotten apple, right?" I chortle. "But, Paula doesn't tell him that. So, he gives the apple to Poo, and he downs the whole thing like a fucking champ."

"Are you serious?!" Lucas guffaws. "Oh, man. That's hilarious. So, where'd the apple come from?"

"Jeff's friend, Loid, digs through trash cans," I reply. "Okay, so do I. And I found the apple. The best part is Poo doesn't know about it to this day."

He crinkles his nose a little bit, and I wonder how he puts up with me. "You should tell him next time," Lucas suggests.

"I don't know," I say. "Maybe I will. I was around 13 when this happened, so maybe. Say, did you know that-"

Before I can say another word, Lucas grabs the collar of my shirt and pulls me in for a tender kiss. I'm tempted to pull away, but it turns into more than just a kiss. The unexpected happens; I'm actually making out with Lucas.

"Ness, you dog," Jeff laughs from behind. "And here you are, making out with 'Mr. Purity and Innocence', for fuck's sake."

"Purity and innocence don't exist within men," says Paula. "I'm an only child and even I knew that."

"You've also known us since forever," says Poo.

"Only 4 years. Anyways, how is it?"

"Fine, until you fuckers killed the mood," I groan. "While you guys are standing up, go get us some popcorn and a few drinks."

We get back to what we started. And boy, does it feel good. My first makeout was with Genevieve, the girl I dated after Kylie. But, she wasn't as good as Lucas is. For never making out in his life, he got the hang of it real quick.

After about 4 minutes, I get back to staring at the stars and waiting on my popcorn. Poo gets back, with about a dozen drinks. Does he work here or something? What gives?

"Poo, we're not that thirsty," says Lucas. "You know the only place to piss? Behind a bush. But, I am a little dehydrated, so thanks."

"Why'd you get a crapton of drinks?" asks Jeff.

"Felt generous," says Poo.

"Dude, they overcharge at places like this," says Paula. "I told him not to do it, but did he listen to me? Nope."

All of a sudden, I am caught in a crossfire, as I head behind a bush. Not to take a leak, but to take a break from everyone. Sometimes you just need alone time. Especially since my head is filled with horrible thoughts. Luckily, I have the place I can keep all my thoughts.

Dear Diary,
So, I'm at a drive in right now, and it's not what I was expecting. On the plus side, I got to make out with Lucas for the first time. Holy crap, he was good! What was he doing, claiming he's never made out with anybody? I refuse to believe that! Anyways, I'm behind a bush, and everyone thinks I'm just doing my business, but I'm really writing. Poo bought way too many drinks, and I guess he's trying to pawn them for half the amount he paid for? Bad idea, but okay.

-Ness.

I come out of hiding, to see Poo left with around 3 drinks. I shoot him a confused look. Then, I climb back up to the hood of the car with Lucas.

Months go by, and Lucas and I are happier than ever. I check my calendar every now and then to see if there will be a day when I get to see my dad again. Not likely, I guess.

I stare out my window, realized I haven't told Lucas that I love him yet. However, do I actually? That's one of the things you gotta consider when in a relationship; you can't say you love someone without meaning it. Otherwise, you'd be a rat.

Lucas comes over, while Paula is still living in my room. She chooses to excuse us, but Lucas insists her to stay, and calls her back. So, she returns.

"What a surprise," I chuckle. "What's going on? Why're you here?"

"Because I love you," says Lucas.

Paula looks at us, with an excited look in her eyes. I can tell she's about to squeal, since girls do that. But she keeps herself together. I want to say it back, but since I don't know how to speak English, I managed to utter, "Oy bluh blue... fuck."

"Ness, you good?" asks Lucas.

"Sorry," I reply. "There goes the brain. My ex-boyfriend said the exact same thing, but I never said it back."

"Well, I'm not your ex. So, don't worry. And, I'm not forcing you to say it back, because I said it. You say it at your own pace. Okay, I gotta jet home. See ya."

Lucas leaves, after kissing my forehead. Quickly, Paula jets over to me. "He loves you," she says, hesitantly. "Do you feel the same?"

"I don't know if I can say I love him," I sigh. "I don't know if I do."

"That's okay. Like he said; you say it when you're ready to."

I brushed the hair out of my face, as I head downstairs to get ready for work. Hey, at least I'm wearing a hat.

Work is boring, as usual, but it does mean I get extra dough for post secondary. How sad it will be when I have to leave Lucas. The closest I get to customers normally are families with obnoxious children, and that one middle aged woman who always wants to speak to the manager, who isn't in half the time.

They make me closer for tonight; midnight. On a school night. Isn't that just great? Thankfully, Jeff and Tony come in to kill my boredom.

"What's goin' on, guys?" I ask.

"They have you closing on a school night?" Tony queries. "That blows monkey balls."

"It really does," I say, as I continue to mop the floor.

Outside, I see a group of teenagers. With perfect timing, as my boss sends me on my break. I get curious and head outside; and it's Ninten and his friends. However, Pippi seems absolutely terrified.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"No," she sniffles. "I heard screaming from your house. But your mom and sister weren't home, and neither were you."

"So, that just leaves..."

"I'm worried about Paula. She was screaming and crying and I got too scared to go inside."

I run back inside and ask to be dismissed, as an emergency had come up. I get the approval and quickly ride my bike home. Once I get home, I see Lucas, comforting Paula. And boy, does she look upset. Petrified, even.

"Ness, you need to call the police."