What He Told Me

The sun had risen over Pure Heart Valley, marking the beginning of another day of work for the trio of heroes. Mao Mao, of course, is the first to greet the typical morning with extensive stretches. Adorabat followed close behind making sure that she performed the same morning ritual as her beloved hero. Lastly, Badgerclops carefully made his way out of the top bunk and gently rubbed his eye while walking to the bathroom.

After getting accustomed to the morning, a knock on the door rang inside the house. Mao Mao, making quick work of himself sprinted towards the door and opened it.

"Hello?" he said. A gust of air went by as Mao Mao looked around suspiciously. His eyes landed on an arrow stuck in the frame of the door. He cautiously walked toward the stick and noticed a slip of paper stuck to it as well. He pulled the arrow out of the wall and began to read the letter attached to it.

A sharp pain struck his chest as he noticed who it was from. He read forward, going over every last word inscribed. His throat clogging up the further he read. He gripped the paper tightly, tears just barely caught from slipping out.

"So that's it then?" he said, his voice low and quiet. He looked back at the mark left in the wood. Footsteps and flapping sounds began to approach, Mao Mao swiftly stuffed the message into his belt as Adorabat and Badgerclops peeked through the door.

"Hey, Mao Mao? Are we gonna continue the training? 'Cuz if not, I wanna play Door Bell Danglers with Badgerclops!!" Adorabat said excitedly. The black cat turned around, putting on a facade of his usual personality.

"Adorabat, heroes must train at all times if they want to become legendary. The strength you build up is what's supposed to help you in your journey! However...I think you deserve a break. You have my permission to play those videos games." Mao Mao smiled warmly as he patted the head of his beloved deputy.

"Really?! Oh, thank you, Mao Mao!" She squealed, her big yellow eyes shining with happiness.

'C'mon, Badgerclops! I'm sure I can beat you this time!!" Badgerclops was then pelted by her small and gentle punches of anticipation.

"Cool, dude! Go get the game set up and I'll meet you there!" The small bat nodded and hurried inside. Badgerclops turned his attention to Mao Mao with a much more serious expression.

"I saw you hid something before we came out, Mao. Just 'cuz I have one eye, doesn't mean I'm blind."

Mao Mao turned away again. Badgerclops knew him too well. Mao Mao mustered up a venomous response.

"Just go, I have to get ready to train. At least one of us should stay in shape. We do have to protect a valley."

Badgerclops flinched at the statement. He looked down, upset at the thought of his partner insulting him like that. He scoffed, better to not start an argument now, after all, Adorabat was still waiting for them to begin their gaming time.

"Fine, but I know something's up. Just, don't over do it, ok Mao?" His co-hero stayed silent as he pushed past the badger, heading inside. This only further solidified the idea that something was wrong in Badgerclops' head. The only issue was trying to get him to admit it.

Badgerclops walked inside and sat down, trying to not show any sign of frustration with his partner.

"Badgerclops, is something wrong?" He turned to see the young girl looking up at him with a face full of concern.

"Mao Mao looked angry when he came in, should we do something?" Badgerclops glanced up at the entrance to the training dock, his face scrunched up as his mind reminded him of the tasteless comment his colleague said. He pulled his attention back to Adorabat and said