Chapter 2: A Bumpy Road

Oh wow, what a dream. I felt the sheets around me... hmm... something felt off. The sheets felt much coarser and cheaper than the sheets I had bought months before. I rubbed my eyes as I glanced around at my surroundings.

This was definitely not my room. It appeared as though I had been tossed into a role-playing game set in the medieval period. A small lamp glimmered beside me barely projecting enough light to make the room visible. The bed I was in was a tad smaller than a twin and was adorned with gold on each bed post. The sheets appeared to be a greenish brown and were made from something that resembled tweed. The walls were pale and had aged considerably with small cracks forming near the base.

I jumped out of the bed. What the hell was going on? I was just at the Deli Mart, and I ended up here somehow. I made my way towards the door and opened it enough to peek through the crack. A pair of eyes met mine.

"Ahhhhh!!! He's awake! He's awake! Call the Grand Transmasculator!" The pair of eyes vanished in an instant as the individual on the other side of the door sprinted somewhere else in the building.

A bit confused and scared, I made my way to the window to see if there was a way to escape my current prison. The window did open, but this success was short lived as the window had a prison like bar frame securing the entire area of the window. I pounded on the bars to no avail.

Admitting defeat, I made my way back to the bed. Did this have something to do with that odd sphere outside of the Deli Mart? Just as I began to get lost in my thoughts, I heard a faint knock at my door.

"Umm.. s-sir, c-can I come in?" A girl with dark blue hair peeked around the corner of the door. She was dressed in a green gown with light blue frills tracing the seams. She appeared to be about 16 or 17 years old and had sharp purple eyes that pierced through me. Her appearance startled me slightly as she was quite beautiful.

"Ugh.. sure, but if I can ask, where am I? I'm a bit disoriented because I have no idea where I am. Am I your prisoner?" I decided to take the diplomatic approach and attempt to gain information in a way that negated the need for confrontation. Plus, I really didn't have much of an option at the moment.

"Oh my goodness!!! No you are not a prisoner here... I know it seems that way with all of our precautions, but this is a first for us as well. We weren't sure how you would react to your new surroundings." I peered over her shoulder and noticed two men glancing at me in a curious, but cautious fashion.

"So are the two men behind you my welcoming party? Or do they have something else in mind?"

"Oh! No No! These two are members of the Parincia Guard that were sent here to protect you!"

"Protect me? From who? I'm not exactly a threat."

"Well... many in the world may see you as a threat to their sovereignty or to life as we know it, but you are the only hope we really have anymore." She glanced down at the floor, a sad expression moved across her face. She quickly recovered and noticed me watching her intently.

"But that isn't for me to discuss with you, we must take you to the Empress at once."

"But I..."

Before I had a chance to say anything else, my "protection" moved to either side of me, and we began our descent to the bottom landing where a carriage was awaiting us. As I exited the building to enter the carriage a crowd gathered and began examining me intently. I wish that I could say that I was flattered, but the glares weren't welcoming. The older women and men of the town glared at me with ferocity and the children cautiously stood behind their parents. I simply kept my head down as the guards pushed me up into the carriage and the girl entered behind me.