XIII

Thomas' eyes shot open and he saw Ariella sitting above him smiling. "Easy. You're alright." He blinked. "Hi."

"Welcome back, you ugly shank." Minho said.

Thomas noticed Jorge beating up on the guy he'd recently met. "I suggest that you talk! You son of a bitch! Damn it!"

"I'm sorry...you're going to have to leave my house." The man answered.

Newt turned to see Thomas. He was pale and sweaty. "Looks like you've been having fun."

"Listen. I don't enjoy hurting you." Jorge said. "Okay? Where is the Right Arm, Marcus?"

Thomas frowned. "Wait, this is Marcus?"

Marcus laughed. "The kid catches on quick. Are you the brains of the operation?"

Jorge lifted up Marcus' head by his hair. "I know you know where they're hiding. So you tell me, and I'll make you a deal. You can come with us."

"I burned that bridge a long time ago. Besides, I made my own deal. You're the one who taught me, never miss an opportunity."

"What's he talking about?" Newt asked.

"I'm talking about supply and demand. WICKED wants all the immunes they can get. I help provide that for them. So I lure the kids in...they get drunk, they have a good time. And then, later, WICKED comes in...they separate the wheat from the chaff."

"I changed my mind, hermano." Jorge said. "I do enjoy hurting you." He kicked the chair down and held a gun to Marcus. "Talk! Talk!"

"Okay! Jesus! But I'm not making any promises. These guys like to move around." Marcus was lifted back up. "They have an outpost in the mountains. But it's a long way away. You got half of WICKED on your ass. You're never gonna make it."

"Not on foot." Jorge answered. "Where's Bertha?"

"Not Bertha."

As it turned out, Bertha was an SUV. It was nice, being able to ride in a car after walking and running for so long.

Thomas turned to Ariella and smiled. "I'm glad you're safe."

"Me too. You scared us for awhile, there."

"Yeah, well, nothing can keep me down for long."

Ariella laughed and kissed his cheek.

The car was stopped and they walked up to see numerous cars blocking the tunnel entrance. "Well, I guess we're on foot." Jorge said.

As they walked, they were wary, as all was silent except for birds. They looked through the cars to see if there was anything.

Thomas noticed a bullet hole and reached out to touch it moments before gunfire rang out. "Get down!" Newt cried. "Take cover!"

They all ducked behind cars. When all fell silent again, Thomas asked, "Hey, is everyone okay out there?"

"We're fine." Teresa answered back.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt questioned.

"That son of a bitch, Marcus. He led us into an ambush." Jorge muttered.

Thomas crept up and as soon as he lifted his head above the car, shots resumed.

"What do we do?"

"Here." Jorge said, handing Thomas an explosive device. "Hold this. We gotta create a diversion. You get ready to chuck it." He set it and called out, "Everybody! Get set to sprint back to the truck! And hold your ears!" He lowered his voice. "Ready? One...Two..."

Two girls were holding a gun to them. "Drop it. Now! I said drop it!" They did so. "On your feet. Let's go. Let's go! Move!"