Chapter 2

Fire. Fire was burning everywhere. I was coughing and gagging as my lungs was trying to reach for fresh air.

"Alec!" I call out. I kept turning around looking for Alec to suddenly appear from somewhere. Anywhere! I just want to know he is alive.

"Alec! May! Where are you?" I cry out in desperation. The floor above me started to lower and fire was bursting through. I scream and run as I just make it out of the burning, falling floor. Everything, everywhere I looked I saw fire greedily reaching and calling out for my death. My skin was burning from so much heat. Tears rolling down my cheek I started coughing, my lungs were straining now.

"Eve? You there?" I heard Alec's voice near.

"Alec!" I say in relief as I saw him emerge from the burning attic. He reached for my arm and said "Let's get out of here." I nod knowing I wouldn't last long without air. We made it to door just as the house made one faint screeching noise and collapse. I looked around to find May but I couldn't find her anywhere.

I tugged on Alec's sleeve, "Alec where is your mom? She came out right? Right!" I started crying. Alec let me go and flew all around the burning house. I follow closely until he stopped short and I bump into him. He was lookin down in the fire. I look too only to find May's charred and burnt hand. I scream at the sight and look away crying harder. I started to hyperventilate.

The world went black and started to fall out from under. I woke up in bed screaming and sweating.

May came running in and ask, "What's wrong?"

May was still here? Wait, May is still here! Then who's hand was under the fire. Oh I see it was all a dream. I let out a sigh.

"Yeah, sorry May bad dream." I say

May just looks at me a sighs, "You know you dont have to call me May? Just call me mom." Then May left.

I felt a churn inside my stomach. Oh God, I think I am gonna throw up! Just then Alec came in. I quickly held in my, almost gonna puke face, and smile.

"Oh hey Alec! What's up?" I say and try to act normal. The churning softened a little so that it wasn't as strong.

He threw me some of my clothes, "Get ready we are going out."

I look at him like he had three heads.

"What do you mean go out! You mean like the older angels can?" I could barley contain the excitement. I have never been outside my house since the time at the park. It's forbidden for fallen angels to go out in the open until you are fourteen years old.

"Wait but won't we get in trouble? I still don't have my wings." I said

Alec shakes his head. "Well it's just one day before your birthday, plus I will be with you, so it won't matter."

---------------------------------

The wind was blowing in my hair and and there were sounds of talking and laughter everywhere. It's hard to act normal when everywhere I look at just makes me smile. Sooner or later people will think I need help, especially when I smile at the stupidest things.

"You want to go eat something?" Alec asks

I nod, "Sure."

"Hmm, why don't we go eat a hamburger?"Alec suggests.

I nod again but I wasn't really paying attention, across the street there was a group of boys that were laughing and pushing each other around. One boy with light blonde hair fell. He felt familiar to me somehow. He turns around and I gasp. The boy had storm gray eyes. He was the one at the park when I was younger. Didn't his name start with an A or something? Aaron, Andrew... A ... A .... Allen! That's it, Allen! He looks up and see's me. I look away quickly and tug on Alec's sleeve.