Chapter Two

Oliver Wood

I watched lazily as the first years were sorted. My eyes kept flickering from the hat in the front of the hall to the silver pin on my robes, proof that I had been made the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain. There was something buzzing inside of me, I couldn't sit still, I had to start planning this year's tactics, setting a date from tryouts. It seemed unfair that I had to sit through all of the first year sortings, couldn't they just do this in private?

I began twiddling my fingers, out of pure anxiety, before someone nudged me. With a glance, I saw Percy Weasley narrowing his eyes at me.

"You're going to want to watch."
He told me, before turning to get a full view of the scene.

It must be good if he was talking to me. Before he had re-adjusted himself, I had seen the prefect badge on his robes, he was all prim and proper. Last year, I had tried to get him to join the team, his brothers were just brilliant, especially Charlie. Yet he seemed to not even watch the sport. An upright nerd, he was. Nothing I hated more than nerds.

I changed my attention from the tablecloth to the stool that was now unoccupied.

"Patil, Padma."

A girl rushed up to the stool, and the hat made its decision quickly.

"RAVENCLAW!"

I turned back to Percy, still watching the sorting as if it was a Quidditch Game.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?"

"Look!"
He hissed, grabbing me by the shoulders and rotating me.

"Potter, Harry!"

Well, shit. Everyone in Hogwarts knew him, and if they didn't, they were about to.

I looked back to Percy, who had a very smug look on his face, he had expected that THE Harry Potter was in Hogwarts this year, unlike everyone else in the hall who was whispering and muttering.

They all knew him as the Boy Who Lived.

But I was one of the only ones who knew about his father, James Potter, a Quidditch legend, I had seen his awards. Now there was only hope that he would be in-

"GRYFFINDOR"

I clapped furiously, Percy shook his hand so hard it looked close to falling off. He eventually sat across Nick and directed his attention to the sorting, where there were only four students left.

If I thought I had been over-thinking Quidditch before, it was nothing compared to now.

I had muted everything in the Great Hall, I could only hear my thoughts now. I couldn't wait until he was in his second year, I could only hope he liked Quidditch, I could barely hope he was any good at the game.

The gears in my brain kept on turning as Dumbledore said his speech. The first game was always against Slytherin, in November, so I could host tryouts late September or early October, on a weekend. For who would get in, I had no clue. We had good and great players, but there could always be better. I definitely needed a new seeker, but it would be hard to match Charlie's performance from last year.

Before I knew it, dessert had ended, and Percy Weasley was telling everyone at the table that the new password was "Caput Draconis", and he led all of the first years to our common room.

"Oliver, hey! Oliver!"
I turned around to see Angelina Johnson jogging towards me.

"First, congratulations on being made captain."
She told me, pointing to my badge.

"Thanks"

"And do you know when Quidditch Tryouts are?"

I paused, thinking of the mental calendar I always had going in my head.

"September 14th, I'll tell you if it changes."

She grinned.
"Thanks!"
Angelina ran back to Alicia and began chattering.

As I made my way towards the exit, I heard two other voices call out to me.

"Ollie!"
Gritting my teeth, I turned around, knowing it could only be the Weasley twins.

"Tryouts?"

"My name is Oliver, and September 14th."

"Thanks, Ollie!"

I would've gone after them, but not tonight. With a sigh, I left the Great Hall.

I had just walked to the Great Staircase when someone called out to me.

"Oliver?"
Whoever it was didn't have a demanding tone like the rest.

I gripped my robes and started loudly,
"For the last time-"

I turned around, coming face to face with a girl. She was the same height as me, with strawberry-blonde hair, and blue eyes. Pretty features. We were so close I could see all of her freckles, spread across her cheeks like stars in a night sky. I knew who she was, she was Julienne Quinn, she played for Ravenclaw, I even shared some classes with her. I could see the flecks of green in her eyes...

We were too close.

She seemed to realize this first, as she blushed and took a step back.

"Oh, sorry, I thought you were someone else,"
I said awkwardly, running my fingers through my hair.

"It's okay," She replied, then she stuck her hand out formally. "I'm Julienne, Julienne Quinn. You're the new captain, right?"

"Yes"

I shook her hand quickly and released it. Ah, so she was asking about Quidditch, so why would she-

It was then, that I spotted the silver badge on her robes, identical to mine.

"Anyway, I'm Ravenclaw's captain, so I just wanted to introduce myself. Good luck this season!"

"Thanks, erm, good luck to you too!"

She grinned, I smiled back, not knowing what else to say, before she turned back and ran in another direction.

I drew my palm to my face.

"Smooth."

I whipped my head back to see George Weasley sitting on the staircase. I went red.

"Isn't it your bedtime?"

"Relax, mate, I was just getting away."

I raised an eyebrow.
"From?"

He smiled sheepishly.
"The common room. I stole Percy's badge, and me and Fred are his top suspects."

I groaned, one day, those two would get into too much trouble.

"Thanks, I share a dorm with him."

"Anytime, mate."

I walked up the stairs, past him, and walked into the common room, which was quiet. Everybody had already passed out.

I walked into my dormitory, which had Percy's light on, and he was throwing everything out of his trunk, muttering furiously to himself.

I sighed and went to bed.

But I couldn't help but replay the scene in my head.