47. tea leaves

     WHEN HARPER ENTERED THE GREAT HALL FOR BREAKFAST THE NEXT DAY with Harry, Ron and Hermione, the first thing they saw was Draco Malfoy, who seemed to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story

WHEN HARPER ENTERED THE GREAT HALL FOR BREAKFAST THE NEXT DAY with Harry, Ron and Hermione, the first thing they saw was Draco Malfoy, who seemed to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. As they passed, Malfoy did a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit and there was a roar of laughter.

"Ignore him," Hermione said, who was right behind Harry. "Just ignore him, it's not worth it . . ."

"Hey Potters!" Pansy Parkinson shrieked, a Slytherin girl with a face like a pug. "Potters! The Dementors are coming, Potters! Wooooo!"

Harry may have been the smart one to let it slide but Harper certainly was not.

"Hey Parkinson!" she yelled, turning around. "If only your brains were a big as your confidence, then maybe you could pass this year with Acceptables."

That seemed to shut her up for a moment and Harper sat down next to Fred at the Gryffindor table, feeling slightly satisfied.

"New third-year timetables," Fred said, passing them over.

"What's up with you, Harry?" George said, who sat next to Harry.

"Malfoy," Ron said, sitting down on George's other side and glaring over at the Slytherin table.

George looked up in time to see Malfoy pretending to faint with terror again.

"That little git," he said calmly. "He wasn't so cocky last night when Dementors were down our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself," Fred said, with a contemptuous glance at Malfoy.

"I wasn't too happy myself," George said. "They're horrible things, those Dementors . . ."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" Fred said.

"You didn't pass out, though, did you?" Harry said in a low voice, making Harper sigh. He could be very persistent at times.

"Forget it, Harry," George said bracingly. "Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred? And he said it was the worst place he'd ever been. He came back all weak and shaking . . . They suck the happiness out of a place, Dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there."