Chapter 7

C H A P T E R  7

"Thank you very much," I say to the cab driver in a British accent. I couldn't have him recognizing me and reporting back to the media about my location so I put on the fake accent to help disguise myself but I guess the glasses and hat already did that. I grab my suitcases and check my watch, it took the cab driver almost two hours to drive all the way over here, very expensive, but perfect. There's no way anyone would find me here. Although to be honest, I didn't even know where here was. In front of me there was the apartment I was to live in...  it was absolutely nothing compared to my old glamorous apartment but it would have to do. I walked inside awkwardly with my three suitcases. I walked over to what looked like a receptionist working at a small desk.

 "Hello! My name's Gwen Win-Summers!" I blurted. If I wanted this to work, I'd need to change my last name. Unfortunately, with all my identification saying "Gwen Winters" I'd need to change my last name to something somewhat convincing.

 "ID, please," the woman said without looking up from her computer. I handed my driver's license over to her. "I thought you said your last name was "Summers"? She asked confused. I really hoped she doesn't watch the news because showing her my driver's license was a huge risk to blowing my cover.

 "It is! They made a mistake when printing it. Got the wrong season, haha!" I laughed, but got no reaction from her.

 "Go up to the third floor, room 304. I'll send Jenny there too." She said while keeping her eyes glued to her computer. I got the sense that she wanted me gone so I left confused as to who Jenny was.

 I got into the elevator and pushed the number 3. Nothing happened. I pushed it again and the doors stayed wide open.

 "You have to push really hard." The woman at the front desk yelled without looking up.

 I pushed with all my might turning my pointer finger red and finally the doors shut. I got out of the elevator right when someone else was about to go in. "Ah, Gwen Summers right? You're Emily's friend. I'm Jennifer, the landlord you had just emailed. I didn't realize you were being serious when you said you wanted to move in, in the next hour." The woman said.

 "Yes, I was actually," I smiled. This was Jenny I assumed.

 "Well, I've got to welcome three other people and show them to their rooms but here's your key, your right down the hall, number 304 I'm sure you already know. Enjoy." She said and rushed into the elevator. I barely had enough time to take the key from her before the doors shut.

  I walked up to room 304, dragging my suitcases behind me, and put the key into the lock. It wouldn't open at first, I assumed I'd have to push really hard just like in the elevator and I was right. After shoving in the key, the door finally opened.

 "Oh my gosh!" I cried! My mouth hung wide open. This was absolutely horrible. I walked inside and shut the door to make sure not to alarm any of the neighbors by my cries. There was a kitchen to my left, a shower, toilet and one sink to my right and the only door in the entire apartment was the front door. In front of me lay what I assumed was to be the living room. I walked into the living room and noticed something big that seemed to stick out of the wall. I pulled on it, and out came a mattress. Fabulous, I thought. A living room and bedroom all into one... This was the worst apartment I had ever laid eyes on.

 I brought my suitcases into the living room and tried to calm down. This was only temporary, I kept repeating to myself. Only temporary, only temporary. This entire apartment was the size of maybe two prison cells. I sat down on the mattress and stared at the floor. This was all for the best, I thought. I mean, this was the only apartment that would be able to let me move inside in such short notice. Not to mention the price was incredibly low. I tried to convince myself of all the good things this apartment had to offer but there was barely any. I debated calling Ellie and asking her for advice. I decided that in this situation, that was the best thing I could do. I picked up the phone and noticed 23 missed calls and 17 messages. More than half of them came from Khan Corporation. I was in a ton of trouble but there's no way I could face them now. Maybe if I waited a few days before calling them back? Maybe Gardner would be calmer by then and would go easy on me? I wasn't too sure if I believe that but right now, I had to. I dialed Ellie's number.

 "Gwen? Is that you?" Ellie yelled into the phone.

 "Yes! Quiet! Someone might here you!" I was terrified of someone calling Ellie and asking for inside information on my whereabouts.

 "Gwen do you any idea how many calls I've received asking about you? Philip and the rest of Kayne Incorporated have been calling me like crazy for the past few hours!"

 "It's Khan Corporation," I sighed, no matter how many times I told her she never seemed to remember.

 "Focus Gwen! That's not the point! I'm prepared to file a missing persons report, where are you?! I went to your apartment after fighting off a few dozen reporters but you were gone along with half of your apartment!"

 "I know I probably should've let you know first, but I'm temporarily moving," I cringed ready for her outburst.

  "You moved without telling me?! Gwen are you being serious?!" She took a deep breath. "You know I would've taken you in," she said quietly.

 "I know you would've, but your house is one of the first places the news would have checked to find me."

 "CNN's called me three times already and Entertainment Tonight has been calling me every hour." She laughed. I sighed.

 "I think I'm just going to lay low until this all blows over and then once everyone's forgotten about it, I'll come back." I decided.

 "You do know there's no chance of this blowing over, right? You could be in a different continent for the next three years but until they find you, they're going to keep talking about you. Why don't you just come back? You know and face the music?" She tried to convince me.

 "I just can't," I started to say and then I yawned. Ellie heard me.

 "How about you go to bed now. We'll talk again tomorrow. I'll let everyone know that you're trying to sort out a few things but you'll be back soon or something. Don't worry, I promise you we'll figure something out. You're Gwen Winters remember? Top lawyer with a 90% success rate?"

 "Not anymore..." I said, trying not to think about that percentage going down after today's incident.

 "Forget about that, you need to go to bed. Goodnight Gwen."

 "Goodnight Ellie." I paused and then said "You're a good friend you know that?" but she had already hung up.