Chapter 13

Asher

Since the royal family's Summer home was located en route to the Quercian Forest, Asher was able to get away with bringing only his most trusted guard along with him, for if King Lucas had known where Asher truly intended to go, he would have ensured that an entire contingent of guards accompanied his youngest son.

Actually, he would have stopped him from going to the Quercian Forest entirely. Asher was already anxious over the fact that he would have to somehow sneak away from his guard, Tomasis to continue onward. Or incapacitate him somehow. Either way he looked at it, if he was successful, it would make Tomasis look incompetent.

Guilt shrouded Asher at the thought. Tom, the son of a Kingsguard, was a few years Asher's senior and had trained to be one of the prince's guards from a young age. They'd virtually grown up together, and the capable and steady guard-in-training had been Asher's first crush as a preteen. The crush had lasted well into his teenage years until Asher's sister Sariya had pointed out that falling for one's own guard was highly inappropriate, not to mention dangerous.

"Do you want him to be distracted and get you both killed?" She had demanded.

That was, of course, assuming that Tom was even capable of feeling that way about Asher. Something that Asher still wondered to this day - for it seemed that Tom was so dedicated to his work that he had never taken on a lover male or female.

And these days, Asher considered him a friend, though Tom often maintained just enough professional distance between them.

As they rode out, Asher was glad to have Tom with him for now, and wondered if he could convince the loyal guard to go with him to the Quercian Forest. Though Ori would probably consider him delusional for considering it.

His heart ached at the thought of his cousin, and traitorously, at the thought of Pit as well. If he couldn't get to the Forest and get to the bottom of this, if Pit had actually done something terrible.

No, if Remo had paid Pit off, it had to have been blackmail. Pit was honorable. Calm. Reasonable.

"You seem distracted, your highness." Tom commented, bringing Asher out of his thoughts and back to the lush green countryside that surrounded them.

"I am, Tom, I am," Asher sighed, straightening himself atop his horse, who probably had not appreciated Asher's slouched posture.

"Well, this getaway should be good for you then. I've always thought you should go to the Summer home more. Good to get out of the vile city and get fresh air to clear your head, my father always said."

"Your father was a smart man," Asher agreed and resolved to keep himself far more alert. He was letting this situation get to him which was not acceptable for the line of work he intended to go into.

****

Asher was extremely familiar with Pit's trade routes and had often studied the maps Pit left behind, marking the places that Pit had stopped and sent him letters. He knew that Pit stopped in a town or somewhere with a real bed to sleep in whenever possible. Pit also traveled on foot with the pack horses laden with goods and Asher was hoping that following them on horseback would help him to reach them not long after they had arrived at the forest themselves.

A few days into their journey, they stopped in a town and booked a room - a task that had proved completely uneventful so far on their trip.

Asher had of course, made it a habit to sit in the taverns and listen to the local gossip that flowed freely from liquor loosened lips. Tom had learned long ago that when they traveled, especially just the two of them, Asher was not to be treated like a prince. It suited the guard just fine - making people believe they were simply two men traveling to their next unremarkable destination meant that Tom's job of protecting Asher was much easier if no one knew his true identity.

So far, Asher had heard no mention of anyone sounding like they could be describing Ori, Pit, and Flor. He had been troubled by this at first, but then determined that no news of them was better news. It meant that they hadn't been doing anything out of the ordinary. That perhaps Asher was worried over nothing.

Instead, he began to hear murmurings of a runaway bride from Interezzia. In the neutral land there was no true nobility or aristocracy as there were in the four kingdoms that surrounded it. But there were scholars and because magic ran heavily in families, the mage-families in Interezzia were constantly vying for more power or alliances. As Asher saw it, no matter where you went, there would always be corruption and power-hungry monsters.

"Not a bad reward for her capture and return," Tom commented.

"Do I not pay you enough?"

Tom snorted, "You pay me plenty. In fact I'm overpaid to sit around in taverns with you watching you drink. It's very exciting work." The guard leaned back in his chair, hands behind his head, elbows flared.

He wants more exciting work, eh? Little does he know I'm about to grant his wish, Asher thought, taking a sip of his drink. "It's wine, not ale by the way."

"Apologies,"

Asher had spent so much time in Terrendia City that he'd forgotten what it felt like to have this easy banter with Tom. Where Tom wasn't calling him "highness" and remaining professionally aloof around the rest of the guards and his family.

For a moment, Asher felt guilty that he was having a good time right now. Quercus knew where Pit and Ori were right now.

Hopefully sitting around a fire, enjoying a nice warm meal. He thought, as the server brought him a steaming bowl of stew. He took a deep breath, taking in the mouth watering scents of garlic and thyme. For now, he'd rather think of the best case scenario, than expect the worst.

Though he had a feeling the worst was what he would encounter.