02. smoke and mirrors

"you could be my breakthrough, watching demons wait till i leave you, and they can ini-ini-initiate you."

vincent pov.

xxx

xxx

two weeks.

zak hadn't messaged me, called me, anything. it was like he vanished from existence.

i knew that wasn't true but... after that drama with darryl... things really took a downhill turn for zak.

but maybe it would be best if i gave him more space. hasn't he had enough, though?

i pulled out my cellphone, opening up messages and clicking on zak's contact, my thumbs dancing across the letters arranged on the screen. hesitant, i pressed send, dropping the device onto the table and nervously chewing at my nails.

things took a turn when i saw my screen change to a new pallet of colors.

incoming call from zak
accept   decline

without hesitation, i answered the phone, putting it on speaker, mainly from being too lazy to hold it up to my ear for god knows how long.

connecting...

a quiet sniffle came from the other end, but it was quickly covered up as soon as it arrived.

"hello? vincent?"

"yeah. what's up?" i responded, deciding not to pay attention to the distressed sounds and the croaky voice that came from the older boy.

"not much! i'm doing... pretty good." he chirped, but i could hear right through it.

the pain.

the pressure.

the hate.

the worthlessness.

the hours of tears.

"oh. good to hear, man. have you said anything to bad recently? are you two friends again?"

he dropped silent. not a single peep came from him.

"yeah.

yeah... things are fine. just fine..."