Chapter 2

I woke in the hospital, surrounded and confused, because my fourteen-year-old-self did not have a step-mom, step-brother or a boyfriend.

They all looked at me with expecting eyes. I, on the other hand, felt like I'd been hit by a train and the last thing I wanted was an audience.

It was a relief when I spotted my dad. He had a little bit of grey at his temples that was not there before. I squinted my eyes at him past Trey Oliver whom I did recognize. I just didn't know he was my boyfriend at that time, or why my long-time crush would be sitting by my bed.

"Dad?" I looked around the room taking in all the eyes on me, the white walls, and the machines. I looked down at the paper-thin hospital gown covering me. My dad rushed to my side, pushing Trey from his spot.

"Sawyer?" My dad sat down in the squeaky chair that he'd just crowded Trey out of. "How are you feeling?"

My dad was the only thing I could look at. I was too embarrassed at everyone seeing me like this. "Horrible. My head hurts" As I spoke my esophagus burned. "And my throat." I reached up for my neck. A tube was attached to my arm. I winced and looked away. I didn't like needles.

One time when I was twelve, I was climbing up the boards nailed to a trunk of a tree in Henry's backyard, my foot slipped, and my shin caught on a nail. I had to have a tetanus shot and three stitches. My dad had to hold me down at the sight of the needle. He'd always joked about having a daughter who was afraid of needles, since he was a doctor himself.

"Need some water?" My dad held a large cup with a straw. "Would you get a nurse, son?" He said over his shoulder.

Trey looked wide-eyed from me to my father and said, "Sure." His hair was lighter blond than I remembered, and it was disheveled as if he'd been sleeping in that chair beside me. He hurried out of the room.

"What happened?" Even though I'd just had a drink of cool water, my voice was still hoarse.

"We were hoping you could tell us." My dad looked up at a skinny lady, who's brown hair was slicked back in a ponytail and she wore a pair of black dress pants and a button up shirt, that looked a lot more put together than my dad's rumpled button up with the first three buttons unbuttoned, his white t-shirt peeking out. I knew I'd seen the woman before but couldn't place where.

"Bill, you should let her rest." Her dark eyes darted toward me but didn't stay there.

"I don't ... I don't remember," I said.

"Is there anything you do remember?" My dad leaned forward in the chair after setting the cup down.

"A nurse is on the way." Trey rushed in the room. He looked at me. His irises were several shades of green and gray looking like a storm. Those eyes were the reason I had a crush on him.

In the sixth grade, on the playground, I was in the path of a flying football, Trey grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me out of the way. Then he looked into my eyes and said, "That was close."

I'd fantasized about his eyes and him professing his undying love for me ever since. This wasn't how I wanted him to see me though. Maybe I did have a knight-in-shining armor complex, at least that's what Henry said.

"Are you okay?" So much concern in those words as Trey started toward me, but hesitated when he glanced down at my dad. My father was a big man, making a solid barrier between Trey and me.

"I don't know." I got a good look at him when my dad sat back in the chair. Trey wore a football tee shirt from our school. It said. Ellsworth High School 2018 Football Champs.