Chapter 4 - A Raven From the Twins

I slowly tapped my fingers on the wood of the writing desk in my room. In front of me was a letter that had arrived by raven just before Amira had come to prepare me for dinner. I took a deep breath, trying to control the rage that surged through my body, and read the letter again

Dear Clara

Sister I need to apologize to you,

I was heartbroken when I found out that the day of my engagement coincided with your departure. Clara I’m to be married to Robb stark, I’m so scared.

I wish that you could have been with me that day, I feel so intimidated by him.

Father doesn’t care that I’m so much younger than him, I feel like I’m being sold like an animal. I’m not ready for this Clara, what will happen when I’m forced to have his children or watch him go to war.

Please don’t forget about your sister in the North.

Rosella,

I slammed my fist down on the table, making Amira jump. Even though I was usually quiet and polite, I had boiling hot viper blood running through my veins, this gave me a fiery temper that most were wary of.

How dare my father allow sweet, innocent Rosella to marry that beast of a man? She was a little bird and he was a wolf, he will destroy her, whether it’s through forcing her to have his heirs or breaking her heart. All I knew for sure is that if Amira ever teaches me to throw daggers like the dornish men, then the first thing I aim at will be him.

 Amira walked over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder

“You shouldn’t worry so much about her, in Dorne girls much younger than her get married, and they are happy”

I turned around to face her, with fire in my eyes.

“This isn’t Dorne, In the north no one cares about how a girl will feel during her marriage, the pressure of it will crush her, she’s so innocent” What Amira did next surprised me, she started to laugh.

“You may have been raised in the north, but believe me cousin, you have the feverish flame of The sun in your soul. You will like Oberyn, he has a temper that is even deadlier than yours.”

She grabbed my hand and led me over to the bed to calm down. “Forget about your sister now, tonight is important and you must look perfect”

I breeze blew through the balcony doorway which made me shiver. Amira had insisted that I wear one of her dresses that she had brought from dorne, I was extremely uncomfortable showing this much skin but I knew that in Kings Landing, looks mattered almost as much as wit.

The Skirt of the dress was made of a long flowing Dark blue material that was threaded with tiny silver stones which made it appear like the night sky. The bodice which had small shoulder straps was richly embroidered with beads and precious gems.

Amira Had braided two thick strands from either side of my head and pulled them back to form a detailed braid that fell down my back. This was different to The way I had done my hair at home, this looked a lot grander and included lots of tiny braids in the larger sections of hair.

The neckline and back of the dress were low which made me feel strange, I had never worn anything like this before and it left too much skin exposed for my liking.

Amira stood in front of me and inspected my appearance with a judging glare. We both jumped when there was a knock on the door and I slowly walked over to answer it. Outside was the last person I had been expecting, Jamie Lannister was standing outside. He was wearing a richly embroidered leather tunic and formal breeches, his hair was golden and tussled, even though he was beginning to age, he did look stunningly handsome.

“Lady Clara? I’m here to escort you to the dining chambers of King Joffrey”

I looked back at Amira and smiled supportively, she was dining with one of her friends that night that she hadn’t seen since she was young. I stepped out the door and closed it behind me.

Jamie offered me his arm and I gladly took it as we started to stroll through the halls. The castle was filled with the scent of the flowers that bloomed in the gardens and this made the warm night feel dreamlike.

“Ser Jamie, may I ask you what you know of Robb Stark?”

‘My Lady, must we talk about such a barbaric man. Surely you are far too innocent to want to discuss the likes of the starks”

“I’m sorry my lord, you’re right. I don’t know why I would bother”

I tried to hold back my scowl as he smiled in satisfaction that we were off the topic. The starks had always been allies with the Frey’s, The day that Ned Stark died, everyone at the twins mourned him.

We arrived outside The kings chambers and Jamie politely opened the door for me. The interior of the room was glowing shades of orange and gold from the candlelight, in the middle of the room was a long grand table which looked out at a view of a small garden centered around a pool of water.

Everyone at the table looked up as we entered and Jamie left my side to go sit by the queen. My eyes were still following Jamie’s movements when I chair scraped back on the other side of the room. I barely recognized her before she spoke but when her voice rang out, like a choir of bells, I recognized my child hood best friend. Alexa.

She ran towards me at full speed and flung herself at me, almost knocking me over. I tried to contain myself in front of the dinner party but really I was crying on the inside, Alexa had been there for me after my mother died, she had helped to distract me from my despair.

She let go and stared at me with tears in her eyes

“Clara, how has it been so long?”

“Not here lexi…”

She nodded, remembering that we were at a formal event. She returned back to her seat and I saw that there was a seat that had been left for me. Next to Oberyn Martell.

(Alexa Lannister and Rosella Stark / Frey belong to @Rosellastark. go follow her she's amazing :3 )