Chapter 4

I come home right after school. We didn't do much. I walk to the kitchen where Manuel and Aaliyah is. They're standing and talking and laughing together. I start to smile too. What I would give to get a relationship with your dad. My smile is gone and I just look down. "Hello, sweetheart." Manuel say as he's stiring in a cauldron. Aaliyah turns around too and gives me a smile. "Hey Mr. Mendes, and hey Aaliyah." I walk to them as they start to laugh. Was it something I said? "Oh honey, please call me Manny, we're family." Manny say as he finish laughing. Family. All I wanna do is confront him, but Manny is such a good man, so I can't do that. "Yeah, family? I think not" The voice comes from behind, but of course I know who it is. Shawn is leaning up against the doorframe eating a banana. Manny turns around and sign when he sees Shawn. Aaliyah does the same. "You're only here because your parents didn't want to buy you a plane ticket for their trip to Barcelona, and probably used their relastionship as an excuse." I don't say anything. I just think about what he just said. Could he be right? No of course not. That boy lies more than Jane before PE. " "Shawn! Stop telling such lies. Anna is good company and we love having her here." Manny turns around again and starts to stir again. Shawn finishes the bite of banana he just took. "I need to know what 'we' means, because I'm on the complete oppesite side of that." He takes another bite. "Shawn, I swear to god-" I cut Manny off. "It's okay, Mr. Mendes." I look over at Manny and then Shawn, who has got his smirk back. I walk out of the room. He lied. My parents love me. They just need time together, that's all.

One week later.

"So you be nice to her while we're gone." I can hear Karen talking to Shawn through the door. Manny and Aaliyah is there too. "And no touching!" Manny says. I can feel Shawns eyeroll through the door. "Like I'm ever gonna touch such a school girl like her." Shawns is chewing on his gum so loud that I can hear it. After he says that, a big sound of a closed door comes to life. Shawn went into his room. I'm not even a school girl, what's his problem? But what do they mean with "while we're gone"? I can hear footsteps that comes closer, so I get away from the door quick. They're knocking. I yell that they can come in and I pretend that I'm playing with something in my ledge. "Hey sweetheart." Karen starts when she comes in my room with Manny beside her and Aaliyah behind her. "We're taking a trip to my parents in England for a week," Karen says. "and we really want to bring you, but my dad is very sick, and-" I cut Karen off. "Yeah sure, I get it, but why is Shawn not going?" I ask. I don't think I should've asked that. They just look at each other with a disappointed face. I nod. "Well, have fun with Shawn. Just feel like you're home and do what you want." Manny says. I smile at him, and hus all three. After they walk out it hit me. One week living alone with the biggest douchebag on earth.