Chapter 1

Present day Death Valley, Arizona

Curiel woke up to the sound of the wind blowing. The window that was open by his desk blew dry hot air. Curiel mumbled something in his sleep and turned his head away from the window. "No,five more minutes." He groaned sleepy as his alarm clock started ringing. He hit the clock and it fell off his desk onto the floor with a loud clang.

Curiel yawned and stretched. His ears perked up at the sound of his office door opening. "Close the door your letting the cold air out!" He grumbled. The door closed and a police officer came in wearing oddly colored green sunglasses. "I had a feeling you'd be in here taking a cat nap." The police officer put his sunglasses in his shirt pocket and walked over to Curiel.

"Hello Jax." Said Curiel as he sat up and stretched. Jax shut the window and turned up the fan. "Are you gonna stay in here all day or solve crimes?" Said Jax. Curiel ears perked up. "Thank goodness,it's so boring and hot in here." Jax just smiled and placed a folder in front of Curiel. "I gotta go do some paperwork in my office call me when you're done." Jax opened the door and walked out.

Curiel studied the front of the folder that Jax gave him. "Let's see what we have here." He flipped to the first page. The page was titled in big bold letters: Local taxi driver attacked by monster? Curiel rolled his eyes. He was used to seeing headlines about monster sightings or attacks. Most of the time the sightings were pranks by teenagers and the attacks were just regular animals. But something about this case intrigued him.

As Curiel flipped through the folder he spotted a picture of something that surprised him. In the picture there was a large bug like creature sticking its proboscis into the taxi car. Curiel gasped. "I-It's a Mothra." He was surprised because mothras are mainly native to Prycastle and rarely enter the human realm.

Curiel flipped through more pictures and files until he stopped at a picture of the road where the taxi driver got attacked. When he looked closer he could see the outline of some sort of energy barrier that had a big hole in it. Curiel's eyes got big. "I need to tell Jax."