Chapter 11

Ratchet watched silently as Sara Griffin's family walked out of his med bay in a mess of tears. As soon as the bay door slid shut, he sank to his knees, hiding his face in his hands.

'Be strong, you're supposed to be strong!' he chided himself. How could he feel so deeply about a human? A broken human.

A deceased human.

This human femme had outlasted all of the others sent to him put together. Ratchet had tried his hardest to dislike her, but to no avail. She just held this sweet presence, she kept him on his pedes with her attitude and her wit. She respected him even so. That didn't stop her from excelling at what she did.

Whatever he decided to put in front of her, she had it figured out by the end of the day. Even some of the Autobots on the base couldn't have deciphered all that she had done. She knew more about Cybertronian beings and their anatomy than some, if not most, of the Autobots on that base.

"You are such a loss, Miss Sara," Ratchet said quietly, his helm pointed towards her body on the cot. "Such a loss for humanity and Cybertronians alike."

There wasn't much he could say. She was gone, and that was that. He had done everything in his power, as explained to her mother, to help her. And yet, there he was. It wasn't enough.

Ratchet shook his helm, wiping his face plates. "Got to get back to work, huh, Sara?" Nothing stopped her from her work. He was determined to do the same.

He turned back to his bay and began to write out blueprints. He knew the likelihood of this was... Well, not likely, but this stubborn mech was stubborn and as determined as ever. He couldn't just go back to work like nothing happened. Something had to be done.

And if all else failed, he'd have to carry on with his life and this war like nothing. That was the last thing he wanted to do. He couldn't do it. He had to do something, something for Sara.

"Who needs sleep, huh, Sara?" He forced a small chuckle from his chest. This was for her.