10 - An Undecided Mind

Leah approached Asger with the whites of her eyes showing, her breath coming out in short puffs, her hooves hitting the floorboards of the deck in a resounding, rhythmic pattern. He hesitantly lifted one of his feet off the ground in the off chance that perhaps she had found it in sport to charge him like she did when they were young.

Instead, she stopped in front of him and dipped her head, catching her breath. He could see her ears shivering. 

"We need to talk," she finally said, keeping her voice low. She raised her eyes and made sure she caught the gaze of each member of their company, Raul no longer included. Aro and Frin carefully edged closer as to not arouse too much suspicion.

"What's wrong?" It was Asger that asked, his brow furrowing and his jaw tensing. Was something else to go awry on this expedition of theirs?

"We can't talk here," Leah scanned her peripheral, casually brushing over the curious gazes of some of the crew members. "We need to be somewhere private, out of range of-"

"You guys look like you're planning some kind of important strategy!" Raul's voice ran out rather jarringly across the whole ship. He didn't even speak particularly loudly, but the company's incessant whispers were but moments of silence in comparison. 

"This doesn't concern you, kid," Asger scowled, glaring daggers at the colt. Raul folded his ears back and pouted.

"Am I not in on this journey's plans anymore?" the young pirate cocked his head to the side innocently, the bells in his mane jingling sadly.

Suspecting that Leah may feel some kind of maternal instinct for the little con artist, Asger decisively stomped one back leg on the ground. "No. You're back on your precious ship and we don't owe you anymore favors."

"Aw, Aro, you're not gonna just leave me behind again, are you?" the chestnut colt stepped so close to the Ceffyl Dwr that the emaciated giant had to crane his neck to see him. Although the wispy creature lacked any emotion in his face, a near nonexistent shake of the head told Asger all he needed to know.

"Scram!" Asger made a move as to catch Raul's forelock with his teeth, elbowing him sharply in the ribs and causing him to stumble over onto one side. With a rather dejected look, the colt scrambled to find his footing again and rushed across the length of the ship to somewhere the stallion's eyes couldn't quite follow.

"That may have been a bit much," Frin commented, grimacing.

"Not my problem," Asger growled.

"Perhaps it's not your problem now, but it might very well become one. If there's one thing I know about Oskar is that he's got a soft spot for kids - and if he hears you've been messing with his..." she looked down at the ground beside her, not feeling the need to finish the sentence.

"We brought the little milk-sucker back safe and sound - if he's looking for me to be a babysitter, too, then he's straight out of his mind," Asger rolled his eyes impatiently. "Where's a quiet spot on this boat?" He started turning his head this way and that, as if he could find one just by directing his gaze towards it.

"Follow me," Aro nodded and walked across the deck to where it descended below. Leah was a bit hesitant to follow, but she had no choice as Asger marched past her and Frin trotted close behind.

The space below was significantly darker than it was earlier, no lamps having been lit yet. This gave them ample opportunity to find an inconspicuous corner in a room with some mismatched living accommodations - a crudely put together multi-level bed next to an intricate mahogany desk and a completely shack-in-the-woods-esque bookshelf.