chapter one | new beginning

chapter one: hollie's point of view.

"we're finally off that stupid plane." i say sarcastically as we leave the airport.

it was exhausting, being on the plane for nearly a whole day. i feel like i'm going to fall alseep while walking. i dragged my feet along the pavement of the parking lot while my mom called a taxi service to take us to our grandma's house. once we reached a nice place in the shade to wait for the driver, i practically collapsed onto the ground, ready to take a nap.

"hollie, get off the ground. you don't know how many germs are there." my mom scolded.

"exactly. i don't." i responded, ignoring her instructions. my mom rolled her eyes and continued staring into her phone doing who knows what. my brother was just intensely reading his giant book this whole time, not paying any attention to anything that's going on, which i don't really mind. it's a whole lot better than having a brother who annoys the living daylights out of you ninety-nine percent of the time.

after waiting for approximately 15 minutes, a bright red hatchback pulls up in front of us and my mom tells us it's our ride. we get in, and he begins the 45 minute drive to our grandma's. i have a feeling living here is gonna be a pretty interesting experience.

at hollie's grandma's house 

"awesome. we're here." my brother said sarcastically, finally taking his green eyes off his book. at only 12 years old, he was already reading college level pieces of literature. i'm 16, and can read a little above his current reading level. our dad always said we would grow up to be gifted people, but he wasn't around to see it. sad, i know, but he passed away 5 years ago. i've learned to accept it. we step inside the small but cozy house and our grandma welcomes us.

"hello everyone! wow, hollie, you're even taller than you were last time i saw you! you too, michael! hi alexa, my dear! how is everyone?" my grandma chirped.

"hey mom!" my mom started. "we're all great! how are you?" she questioned my grandma.

"i'm amazing now that you guys are all here! i'll be right back, i made some cookies for everyone to munch on while we catch up." grandma responded, excited and happy to have some guests. i hated socializing. i wanted to crawl outside and stay on the deck by myself. i could physically feel the gaze of my mom upon me, so i turned towards her and asked if there was something up.

"i know you hate talking, so just stick around for a few minutes, okay? after we cover the basic topics, you can go to the beach." my mom told me.

"fine." i answered, right as my grandma came back with a plate of chocolate chip cookies. she plopped them down on her coffee table and invited us to sit on the couch with her. we started a conversation, discussing the obvious things, such as academics, hobbies, other family, etc. after that, my mom explained to my grandma that i wanted to go down to the beach alone, and she completely understood. i thanked her and got up and left.

at the beach down the street 

i calmly walked down by the shore, breathing in the fresh air and taking in the beautiful view of the nearby mako island. not paying attention to anything other than the view, i didn't notice another person heading in my direction, and we bumped into each other. they landed on top of me.

"oh my god, i am SO sorry. i'm really clumsy these days, i forgot my glasses today, i was just walking, i didn't see you, i'm just so stupid." the guy said, stuttering. "hey, it's fine. it was my fault anyway. don't worry about it dude. have a nice-" i started. then i finally saw his face. 

a/n:

hey everyone! thanks for reading my first chapter of  the july sea! i know it's not very long, but this took a while to write, considering i had no idea how to start and finished it. i hope you read the next chapters of this story in the future! <3