7. Conspiracy

"I think we need Chase" Stone grumbles, pulling his phone out of his pocket and staring at the screen. "No signal, damn it" he growled. "I don't like the fact that the Fey are involved with the council" he turned to Mathilde, "I know it was a while ago but would you be able to describe the men who came here that night" he asked and she laughed at him.

"Boy, I'm not senile and do you think we are in the dark ages here, I have cctv of them, and before you ask, no cameras covered his car when he disappeared"
I giggled, I couldn't help it, Mathilde was wonderful as she scowled up at Stone, who looked chastened.

"I am sorry Mathilde for assuming" he apologised to her.
"Help me up" she ordered, Talon jumping forward to help her, "I will show you to the security room, you can take a look and then we will eat"

I exchanged a grin with River as we follow them slowly out of the room. Mathilde leading the way up stairs and through several corridors before a uniformed maid greeted us in the hallway, and Mathilde gave her instructions to prepare a meal for us all.

She waved her hand at a door to our right "Tobias is in there, he will give you what you need" she told the boys, tuning to me and smiling "We will catch up, join us when you are done" she told them.

"No" they all spoke in unison and I grinned. When she had told them to go, I knew this would be their reaction.
"I will stay with you both" Talon said and the boys nodded, Talon assisting Mathilde into the lounge and to a seat before pulling me down onto the sofa next to him.

'You've bonded well, you were always going to need, a strong set to keep you anchored" she nodded to herself watching me.
"Why?" I question
"Even as a child, your potential shone through, your parents thought you may come into your powers without the need for a bond mate, even though you had your bond mark. You could see things and knew things, that none of your bothers or sister could, and you aura was bright, too bright for any of us to read. We all knew you would be someone special, we just didn't know what and now that you hold the dagger, your potential is limitless"

Talons hands squeezed mine as Mathilde continued. "Your parents were careful to keep their thoughts about you hidden, only very close family knew, but then that wretched prophecy came out of nowhere and it was too late, before your grandfather could stop them, you were all gone" I watched a lone tear streak down her face.

"I wish he were here to see you, he never gave up hope and where ever he is, he still believes, I am sure" she tells me.
"How do you know he's still alive" I whisper my fear.
"Because his magic still lives, I can sense him in the fabric of the castle, where ever he is, he is alive and well" she replies with certainty.

I think about the feel I got from the castle and agreed, knowing in my mind that the castle would mourn his passing, but it was content. I felt a whispered brush from Carnwennan reassuring me and laid my hand over the belt where I had placed the dagger. Mathilde eyes watching my move approvingly.

Noises from the hallway alert us to the others returning and look towards the door.

I was surprised when Chase came into the room with the others, all of them looking frustrated and worried. My boys all gravitating towards me, Talon sliding aside to let River and Blaze sit next to me, with Stone perching on the back of the sofa, his hand on my neck, caressing.

Chase paced back and forth, I knew he was trying to work things out in his mind, but I wanted to know.
"Chase?"
He stopped and took a step towards me, sitting in the chair next to Mathilde and throwing something forward.

I looked at the photo's Chase had tossed on the table as he groaned, "This is not good news, I had hoped I was wrong, but now... I don't know what to think"

"Who is it?" I ask softly.
He pointed to each picture as he said their names "Councillor Anderson, Princes Jonik, Thallon, Strohm and Aeson, Councillor Dreyton and Ambassador Kalim and this is a Hunter... Bennett Graves"

I looked at the pictures of the princes, these were my uncles... my family "Are they good guys or bad guys and What did they want with my grandfather?" I whispered.

"They were telling him to stop digging, that he was making waves that were making things difficult, but all he could see was the need to find you, to know for certain what had happened to you, they wanted him to lay low for a while, told him he was at risk, but he wouldn't listen" Mathilde said into the silence.

"So they could be on our side?" I queried confused.
Chase shook his head, "Its hard to tell, your uncles were suspect because of the connection between the consorts and Underhill, but the others were not on our list of suspects and Bennett is as straight as they come, but I haven't heard of them being together, in fact Bennett retired a couple of years ago and I haven't heard him mentioned at the council"

"Carnwennan will help you find the truth" Mathilde offered and Chase hissed, turning to me.
"You hold Arthur's dagger?" he asked "Show me!"
I place my hand on the belt and Carnwennan comes forth into my hand, and once again the sight brings a man to his knees.

"Chase get up" I growl but he shakes his head, his eyes on the dagger in my hand.
"My Queen" he bows, his hand on his heart, the same pose the boys had taken, "Does she speak to you?" he asks reverently and I nod.

"This is incredible, but it opens up another possibility, this was never about the St Croix family, it was about you, and Carnwennan. You cannot let anyone know you hold the dagger, it will cause as much fear as excitement" he warned, finally standing up and looking around at us all.

"What the hell is it a prophecy or a conspiracy?" River growled angrily.