Discovery

I closed my eyes as soon as he said three and yanked down my collar. My mind was screaming so loudly yet it couldn't drown out the pounding of my heart in my ears. By the time the cool breeze could be felt on the entire tattoo, I finally reopened my eyes.

My gaze started low, I didn't want to read his expression right off the bat. His whole body was tense, and in Philip-like fashion, ready for anything- which I didn't know if that made me feel comforted or terrified. As my eyes made their way upwards, I saw his hands clutched around his collar so tightly that his knuckles were white with strain- and just a couple inches higher I saw the detailed ink.

My eyes widened as I drank in every detail.

Around the curve of his shoulder an angel's wing flowed, almost in a protective manner, and through the end feathers was a ring of metal, like a halo. The halo had a heart etched onto it and two designs that finally made sense to me.

P and (Y/I).

Philip and (Y/N).

I froze.

It was him.

It was really him!

With an awkward gasp through my nose I finally worked up the courage to look at his face. His eyes were glued to my shoulder- his expression was completely unreadable, and I started to feel that pit of anxiety in my stomach again.

Was he disappointed? Excited? Scared?

We both eventually let go of our clothing. It felt like the wind had stopped, and everything followed suit. Every blade of grass, every leaf, every molecule seemed to stand at attention- completely enamored with what would happen next.

I was about to speak when I saw him rake his fingers through his hair, a bright shiny smile appearing on his face.

"Thank god." Was all he said, and suddenly he lunged at me, his arms wrapping themselves so incredibly tight around my torso and lifting me off the ground with the full force of his weight.

The whole act startled me, but once my brain caught up I couldn't help but laugh. My arms squeezed out from between our bodies and managed to entangle themselves around his neck. Philip squeezed my waist and abruptly picked me off of the ground, joining me in my giddy laughter.

Nothing but pure joy was felt through the both of us, and my cheeks started to hurt from the large grin plastered on my face. Philip was laughing loud and proudly, beginning to spin on his heels while small cheers echoed from his throat between the happy giggles.

As we spun every single happy memory I had of Philip played through my head; like the universe decided to hit it home that the boy who had me buried in his arms was indeed the only person destined for me. He was my perfect finishing touch; the last chapter of my book, the final notes in my symphony, and there was no one that would ever fill that spot other than Philip Hamilton.

I was filled to the brim with joy, and the only way I felt like I could effectively show it was by laughing like a toddler while squeezing my newly found soulmate's neck.

My brain buzzed electricity through my body every time it repeated this one sentence.

Philip is my soulmate.

Philip slowly came to a halt and gently placed my feet back on the grassy hill, but he didn't let go from the embrace, if anything he just held me tighter than ever thought possible; so tight that I could feel his heart hammering in his chest against mine, and call me crazy, but it almost felt in sync with my heartbeat.

"It's you, oh my god it's actually you." He mumbled, his voice barely audible from his face being buried in the crease of my neck and shoulder, his slightly heavy breathing cascading over the fabric that covered my tattoo. I didn't- couldn't say anything in return, instead just nodding my head and making a noise from my throat that almost sounded like a yes.

I couldn't help my eyes becoming a little glossy, and I especially couldn't stop a few rebellious tears coming down my face. I just tried my hardest to not shake as I stayed in Philip's arms. Despite my efforts though, Philip felt me shudder and- with a small bit of disappointment from me- pulled away from the hug.

He didn't part very far though, just unlatching his arms from around my body and placing them on my cheeks instead, wiping the said tears with his thumb. I moved my arms from around his neck and slid them down his chest where they reconnected around his waist.

I just smiled up at him (something I hadn't stopped doing since about 2 minutes ago) as he held my face, and I was surprised to see his eyes a little misty as well. If you'd ask him about this day a couple years from now he would scoff and deny that he cried, but I knew that the strong Philip Hamilton was indeed teary eyed the day he found his soulmate.

"I'm so glad it's you." I finally spoke. Philip chuckled in response. His eyes bore into mine and all I could see behind them was pure pure love. It made me blush, but rather than my normal reaction I continued to look at him, sighing ever so quietly every time his thumb stroked my cheek- my tears had since stopped, but that didn't stop him from holding my face in his hands.

In that moment, I finally understood what it meant to be adored by someone. Sure I felt this feeling before, but with my soulmate, and at this intensity, I wanted to cherish the feeling and keep it locked away- like in a bottle on the shelf that I could open and relive it.

But I didn't have to bottle it, as I had the direct source in between my arms.

This was the cause of wars- a feeling so powerful that someone would fight for the right to show it openly and freely, and for the first time I understood it. And yet, it wasn't unfamiliar. Despite me not knowing that Philip was my soulmate, I still felt this way when I was with him. It was then that I realized that I truly loved this childhood friend; not platonically like I originally thought, but a strong and passionate love that one could only find by finding their lifelong partner.

"Yeah me too." He responded, shaking me out of my daze. He inched his face just a little bit closer, his eyes flickering downward for a split second- so quickly you wouldn't have seen it unless you were as close as I was.

I felt my cheeks burning up, but I wasn't nervous. I just stood and mirrored his actions cautiously and waited for what he did next.

"Cause now I can finally do this." My heart was pounding as he drew closer, centimeter by tantalizingly slow centimeter. And finally, my eyes closed as he kissed me.

While the kiss wasn't perfect- considering neither of us had really kissed before, it was better than I could have ever imagined. It was sloppy and slow, yet I could physically feel his adoration with the force of his lips on mine.

He wasn't forceful in a way- he was still gentle as we kissed; but it felt like all the years we had been together, every moment that Philip had been with me had been squeezed into a container, and now that we finally knew, he could finally open the lid and pour out the pure love he had.

His hands still held my face, and his nose was softly pressed against my cheek while his lips gently moved against mine.

We continued for what felt like hours, but it still felt too short when he finally pulled away.

I felt like I had to say something, but all that left my mouth was a strong exhale- as if the kiss had given me a breath of fresh air for the first time in years. Philip chuckled a bit, closing his eyes and shaking his head slightly as if scolding himself.

"Man, for a first time that was one hell of a kiss." I burst into laughter and closed my eyes, leaning forward as Philip let go of my face and gently pressed my head towards his chest. My laughter died down again and I took a deep breath in, inhaling his natural scent and sighing. Philip rested his chin on the crown of my head and hummed as if he was the happiest he's ever been.

There was nothing else, only me and my soulmate, clinging to each other just like when we were kids.