Chapter 5

Riley's POV
I'm on my bed reading over my script that I have to work with next week when I hear the knock at my door.   Sighing, I close my laptop.  It's been hard to balance work, school, and YouTube lately.   It's good Melody and I have videos to release for two more weeks.  I'm also hoping that I'll have more time for school on set.  

However, these things are the least of my problems.  Seeing my siblings like that last night hurt me, but I'm glad I was able to stay strong for them.   I'm also glad for my confidence in Ethan getting better, which I know Melody has been struggling with.

Melody worries me sometimes.   She's always so strong, which I admire, but sometimes she's a little...too strong.  Her outburst in the kitchen only furthers my point.   I make a mental note to check up on her later, feeling bad about her fight.  But for now, I have to talk to who's outside my door, and I have a feeling it's Grayson.

I call for the person to come in and sure enough, it's Grayson.   He shuts the door behind him and comes over to sit on my bed, looking very serious.

"Hey, Riles," he smiles down at me and I smile back, rolling over to face him.

"Hey, Gray.  What's up?"  I look up expectantly.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay," He squints, as though he's trying to examine my faces for signs that I'm not.

"I should really be asking you that, Gray,"  I respond.   His face falls.   Ouch.

Sometimes I have the tendency to say things harsher than I mean them to be, which my siblings assume it's trying to mask my feelings.   However, it's not the case.   My mind flashes to last night.

After sitting with Ethan for a while, I hear the front door open.   I look up and realize Ethan's asleep.   His outpour of emotion must have exhausted him.   I pull the covers up on his chest, leaning over to press a kiss to his forehead before leaving and heading to the living room.   The first thing I see is Grayson with his head in his hands, visibly calmer than before, but still very upset.  Melody's sitting across from him, murmuring things to him I can't quite here.  I come over and sit next to her and she immediately looks up at me and I know her face is speaking about Ethan.  I nod and some of her facial features relax, but she still looks distressed.   Grayson hasn't moved a bit.   I look at him and then back at her.  "The outlook," she mouths and I nod.   That's where Grayson and Ethan usually go when they're upset, as the spot relaxes them.  Grayson still hasn't moved and I reach over and grab his hand.   He shuffles a bit before looking up, his face covered in tear tracks and his eyes red and puffy.  I think about all the things I could say, but decide against it.   Instead, I reach over and wrap him in a hug, Melody reaching over to do so as well.   Sometimes actions really do speak louder than words.

"Sorry," I wince.  "That was insensitive."

Grayson's face breaks into a small smile.  "It's okay, Riles.  But really.  Humor me.  Are you really okay?"

I know Grayson feels like it's his job to always make sure all of are okay, and I get that.  He feels good when we all feel good.  But it weighs on him.  Clearly.

I nod and look at him.   "Really, Gray.  I promise.  I'd tell you if I wasn't, you know."

I can tell this makes Gray feel a little bit better.  Unlike my sister, I really am more in touch with my emotions and my willingness to share them.   Granted, she's always felt things a little stronger than me so I feel like that's part of it.

"Okay.  I believe you.  I just had to check."   He shuffles a bit before kissing my head, leaving the room, probably getting ready to go start dinner.

Before I leave, Gray's phone flashes and I see all of us siblings with dad.  My heart immediately pangs, reminding me things aren't okay, no matter how much I try and make the situation positive.