Mole for the Soul

The first time around, when Jet had been initially hired to be a bodyguard for the Agni family, it had taken Zuko three weeks to acknowledge him, two months to learn his name and six more months to strike up a conversation.

This time around, it took Zuko three days to give Jet a keycard to the front door and the password to everything in the house.

Jet never had to use any of it; he was always with Zuko every time they came to the house, and every time they left. Today was his first adventure through the confusing parking garage alone, let alone trying to use his identity badge to get up the elevator to the correct floor.

The both of them agreed it was better if it was just Jet now, Giles got reassigned to a case that would let him go home to his girl every night. Both of them would have objected if they had been stuck with other people full time, but they never considered fighting it, not a thought crossed either mind.

Jet bustled through the apartment door; lanyard tossed onto the cabinet in the foyer. He was loaded with bags, three times as many as he had wanted to take, but his mom had interrupted his packing.

"Zuko," he called out into the house, violently kicking off his tennis shoes, stopping his trek to the kitchen long enough to greet the swarm of dogs that ambushed him.

"I accidentally told mamá that you only eat instant noodles," he smirked. It wasn't an accident. "So she packed me enough mole and taco fixings for a small army," he unloaded the three grocery bags stuffed far past their carrying capacity onto the counter. "She told me that you need to come back to the restaurant as soon as possible. It's been too long,"

It wasn't hard finding space for everything he brought in the refrigerator; it had a carton of eggs that held three, a pint of soy milk and half a cabbage. Zuko didn't even like cabbage.

When he still got no response, he ventured into the living room. It was too modern for him, but he absolutely did not mind it having an eighty-six-inch television. Zuko's chair was empty, but the couch opposite was not.

He was met with wide blue eyes and a mane of snow-white hair.

"Who are you?" Jet snapped, hand reflexively going to his hip, that was empty. "How'd you get in the house?"

"I'm a friend of Zuko, you must be Jet," the person said, voice soft.

"Where is he?" Why don't I have a gun? He yelled at himself.

Across the house, he heard the bathroom door open.

"I'm right here," Jet took his eyes off the person on the couch for a second, thoroughly scanning Zuko. He was in a giant sweatshirt and looked perfectly fine, though his eyebrow was impressively high.

"I was in the bathroom," he pointed his thumb over his shoulder at the bathroom door.

"Do you know who this is?"

"Yeah, this is my friend, Yue,"

Yue waved a henna decorated hand at him. "Sorry to give you such a scare like that," they offered, a Manchester accent awake in their mouth.

Forcing himself to relax, Jet grinned. "You can never be too careful, this one," he shrugged a shoulder at Zuko, "wouldn't have even noticed if it was a total stranger on the couch,"

Zuko gave him a contemptuous look. "I'm not a complete idiot; I would have noticed. I let Yue into the apartment, you know. They didn't sneak through the window,"

"Of course you did, darlin'. Food's on the table," He spoke through his smile.

Blustering passed him to get to the couch, hiding his nails that he brought to his mouth to gnaw on. It was a despicable habit, so Yue swatted Zuko's hand away from his mouth.