5. Safe Haven

My heart hurts seeing them and wondering how to raise them in my situation. I have no job, I'm just relying in online selling. The sales is not always high which makes me worry for the financial of needs my rescues.

"Hi!" I waved at the tall and big man that opened the gate of Animal Kingdom Foundation which was nine hours travel from my city

"Hi!" I waved at the tall and big man that opened the gate of Animal Kingdom Foundation which was nine hours travel from my city. Before showing up, I disguised myself as a middle aged woman with curly long hair and a bit of impoverished outfit.

"Can I help you?" He has a very un hospitable and and distrustful face which is dragging me to back out but I have to strengthen my spirit for the sake of my rescues.

"I need your help, sir. I have tons of rescues inside of this cab." We walked together to show him what's inside of my father's utility car. There's a big surprise from his face and curiously looked at me. "Please, there's no safe place for them to live than in your dwelling. This is the only place I know."

"Where did you get them?" He rests his palms on his waists while questioning me. "We only accept those that we raid from the dog meat trade."

"I stole them from the dog meat trade in my city." I showed him the pictures that I took from the houses I have raid except where the accident happened. "I know it's a crime to steal but it's the only way I know to save as much as I can." I crossed my fingers while pleading him to take my rescues.

"Hmm..." He inspects the pictures carefully from my mobile phone while I shut my eyes praying hard for his decision.

"I'll help finding for their new homes just please help them live in your care. I'm just a poor lady living alone with two dogs and two cats. I can no longer sustain their needs if the rescues stay longer." I tried hard to resist the tears while talking to him. I looked away while peeping through the window where all of the dogs were looking at me. "You'll be safe here, I promise."

"Let's get inside so I can see them first." He walks back to the gate and opens it. I drive in to their muddy yard. I opened the door for the dogs. They're wagging their tails while sitting where they are. They're very obedient and taught well not to go out as soon as the door opened.

"How long are they with you?" He still looks cautious while observing the dogs.

"Two weeks or less, that's what I can remember." I sit on the floor and pet them. They licked my cheeks and swarm around me while I pet their heads. "My friends said that I'm an animal whisperer but I don't understand that. All I know is I give them my heart even if my pockets are empty."

"Okay, we have to let you sign for your entrance before I let you get inside the shelter." He leads me in the big bungalow house and I do as he instructs. He leads me to another door which was behind the house.

"Wow!" My jaw drops as I look around at the big yard which looks like a two hectares farm with mango trees and lawn of animals.

"I'm Marlon, the caretaker of this shelter. Each lawn has only ten dogs which is too big for them but enough for them to recover and run freely." He let his guard down and started to smile while we walked forward. "Those ones were fresh from the rescue. They need to be separated from the others before they get separated."

"What's the total number of all the dogs in this shelter?" I asked when we met a group of friendly dogs and greeted us. The dogs I brought were still obedient even if they feel tempted to stray.

"There's more than three hundred and they're all stuck here. Only few come to adopt which is a growing problem because we only receive few donations to keep the foundation going. It's a hard decision for the owner to accept your rescues." Mr. Marlon took a deep breath while petting the dogs.

"I'll keep sharing for everyone to see the foundation's situation. It's the least thing I can do." I smiled bitterly while watching the dogs in the lawns that we passed.

Some of them are still in trauma, some are happily wagging its tails but remains in a distant and one dog caught my eyes. A female dog is relaxing itself in a hole she dug to warm herself in the mud. She's just watching us like an old lady sitting on a chair.

"Your dogs, they're still following you. Do you know how they will feel if you're gone?" The Mister worriedly asked.

"I have to make them understand. One day, they'll understand." I pointed at an empty lawn and glanced at him. "Will this be their home?" He looks at where I pointed and it looks like he's still thinking what to decide. "Please, we really need to keep them safe. My neighborhood is not open for them. There's plenty of dog meat eaters around my area."

"Hmmm..." he rubs his chin while his eyes were still focused on the lawn. "Will you help with the cleaning? Show us that you're not just coming and leave as soon as you got what you needed." He gave a challenging smile and I felt relieved with a big release of air.

"Thank you very much. I would love to help!" I held my chest while taking a deep breath and smile at him.

We started cleaning the lawn by removing the dried leaves, washing the walls and floors while my rescues are running around outside the lawn.

"I remember what happened a few weeks ago. Maybe you have a clue who has done the rescuing and the murder of the man who owns a slaughter house. The incident happened in your city." He suddenly brought out the topic that I want to avoid. I appeared innocently so he won't suspect that it was me.

"Arg, my back is aching. I'm getting older as the time goes by." I stretch myself while massaging some of my joints. "Oh, about that incident, I'm glad he's dead. Murder or not, he deserves it. Death will never be enough for him to pay what he did!" I rest for a while pretending to be old and incapable of killing someone.

"Whoever it was, I hope that person to be very careful because some might have footage around their areas. I don't want that person to get caught. The situation will always turn around where justice will turn against it even what he or she did was the right thing to do it will be wrong to everyone." He shakes his head and helped me to stand up to leave.

"That person must hear you but you must never let anyone knows because you'll be their bait to get that hero." I sadly answered before I whistled for my rescues to gather. We fed them first and it's time for me to leave. "Be good, doggos, don't be foolish and stupid. Remember what I kept telling you, always be a good dog." My tears roll while hugging them.

"You must let them understand why you're leaving them here." One of Mr. Marlon's friend came watching us while I bade goodbye to my rescues. I nod my head.

"Didi, Nita, Miky, Browny, Hazel..." mentioned all of their names before finally telling them "I brought you here because this is a safe haven. They understand you unlike where we came from. These people will take care of you with your new friends and neighbors before letting you be adopted by your new homes that deserve your love and trust. If you don't feel they're right for you, don't be vicious. Just run inside your dog house to show you don't trust them. Don't worry, Mr. Marlon will be careful to screen the new fur parents." I made sure that they're listening while I talked and it's now time to leave.

I drove back to my apartment wit tears in my eyes. I missed them but I have to let them go. They deserve a better place and I'm willing to break my heart just to secure that they're safe.

"Ugh!" I couldn't easily breathe, like my stomach is twisting while I silence the sound from my lips. It's difficult to let go, it's painful but I'm relieved they're safe. Remember, it's more painful if they were killed by the monsters in human flesh.