Soul for Sale

Another day in hell. I was never known to be incompetent, but this wears the crown. I should've just lived my life the right way, if I did then I wouldn't be here. The never ending hatred I hold for damning myself is the only thing I have left. What could I have possibly done that for me here? How awful could I have truly been? Believe it or not, I thought I was doing the right thing. The man I loved had an incurable disease. So, I did the only reasonable thing anyone could do. I sold my soul to the devil.

He seemed rather pleased at my choice. So pleased that he came to me personally with his ram-like horns pointed towards heaven and his cliche red skin reminded me of strawberries on the 2002 summer evening when the air conditioner broke in the apartment my love and I shared. I'm not sure why he was excited. All I know is that his deal was that I die instantly, and Jared would be fine. I couldn't possibly say no to keeping my soulmate alive. So, I signed a contract in my blood, he snapped and that was it for me. I descended to hell, the fire tearing at my skin for eternity as I landed in the pit of flames.

There was so much pain in those minutes, that it felt like years had passed. My hair was singeing my skin was leisurely melting, but I didn't die. Of course I didn't, I was damned to live in misery forever. Then I felt something...a hand. Long, warm fingers wrapped around my throat, the palm to the back of my neck. It lifted me up out of the pit and gently placed me on the ground.

My legs were shaking so bad that I couldn't support my weight. As soon as the hand let go, I fell to the ground, and wrapped my hands around my body as the flames were putting themselves out on my skin. My eyes were clenched shut as one final explosion of pain scorched my soul. For just a moment, the pain stayed, making sure that I knew it would be waiting for me. Then the searing pain ceased to exist as if it was never there.

"Little Angel West," A deep voice boomed, causing me to open my eyes.

At first, I was met with cloven hooves and then my eyes trailed up the figure which had many tufts of coarse black fur scattered across its body. Oh, I knew exactly who that was. The basic red skin and the hooves has given it away. Again, I was in the presence of the leader of fallen angels. Although a part of me was afraid of him, the other was amused. I couldn't help but laugh at the dark prince.

"Why are you laughing?" He questioned, raising a brow as I sat up.

I shook my head, "You, " I laughed a bit more, "all of this. It's the epitome of cliche when it comes to Satan and Hell."

His eyebrow stayed lifted, "You think laughing at the King of Hell is wise, girl?" He asked, his voice sounding a bit offended.

   I stood up, his weirdly built body towering over mine, "It's not like I have to worry, right?" I inquired, standing to my feet, "I'm already in the worst place I can be for eternity," I folded my arms over my chest.

He nodded, a large sharp toothed smile spread across his face, "That's why I always liked you, Angel. You would never back down in the face of danger."

"Am I supposed to thank you?" I questioned sassily.

He shrugged. "Maybe not for making the deal, but I did drag you out of the pit." He turned around and waved for me to follow, so I did.

All around me were screams of agony and shadows of torture on the cave-like walls. I felt bad for them, but they had done that to themselves just as I did. They didn't deserve sympathy, none of us did.

Satan led me to one of the rocky walls, and in the wall a light gray, metal door that read Staff only on a small sign. He opened it and walked through, me following close behind. On the other side of the door was a long hallway. It was not dark and red like it was in the pit room, but fully lit. It looked like an office and in the office was many workers dressed in black button up shirts and dark dress pants. Some people were pushing carts filled with paper down the corridor while others were working on computers and using telephones with cords attached.