Chapter One

Watching Mal was the hardest thing the young pirate had ever experienced. It was one thing to see on television, but quite another to see everything right in front of his eyes. Whether he admitted it or not, he was in love with the purple-haired dragon.

It had been six months since the barrier was destroyed. Villains and "heroes" walked the same paths, attended the same schools, worked in the same offices. It was easier than anyone ever expected. Sure, there were a few bumps along the way, but overall, the people of Auradon and the Isle of the Lost were at peace.

In those six months, Harry had been getting closer to Mal and her friends than he ever imagined. He and Gil would spend most of their nights in Carlos and Jay's room, playing the newest video game they had acquired or working on their homework, hoping that at least one of them knew what was going on in class. Harry finally understood how the original VKs had transitioned so easily. There was no need for mischief or evildoings because they had everything they could ever want. Now that wasn't to say that Harry didn't partake in a bit of mischief every once in a while. It was that same mischief that caused him to become close friends with Mal.

Sneaking out past curfew to walk down to the forbidden beach, spray painting her classic "Long Live Evil" design on the sides of buildings, and using her magic to play harmless pranks on any passersby. Those nights were the ones Harry remembered when he felt his temper rise, when he wanted nothing more than to hook the stuck-up jock who, of course, ended up being the child of Peter Pan and Wendy. Those thoughts of himself with Mal instantly brought him away from whatever he was dealing with at the moment.

But what he couldn't get away from was her relationship with Ben. It was just his luck. He found someone who understood him better than anyone else ever had, including Uma, but she'd never be his. It was never in the cards for them. They had known each other as children, but after the infamous shrimp incident with Uma, he hadn't spoken to her much. It was usually nothing but empty threats on the Isle. He'd threaten to gut her alive if she ever stepped foot on Uma's side of the Isle again, but they both knew he would never hurt a hair on her head. When she and her friends had left for Auradon, he thought he'd be able to forget about her, but when she started appearing on television with him, his fondness turned to anger. She left the Isle to become this prissy princess, to marry the king. He always received confused looks when he stormed out of Ursula's, but he didn't care. He just had to get away from the sound of her voice, saying how happy and in love she was. So when Gil had informed him that King Ben was on the Isle, a thousand twisted thoughts ran through his mind.

"Snatch him." He had said simply, a wicked smile on his face.

The worry Mal had for the king caused Harry's stomach to knot. After seeing her in the salon, he had thought that maybe the old Mal had come back, but after what happened at the dock, he knew he would never see the old version of herself ever again.

Since the day the barrier was taken down, he was quickly seeing the girl as she truly was, making things so much harder for him. He had never been the romantic type, but when he saw Ben with his arms around her, all he wanted was to take his place, to be the one she looked at like that. Maybe that's why he went on one date with Audrey. Maybe he needed to date someone who was completely different from Mal. Ten minutes into the date, he already knew that he would have to restrain himself from smashing a tray against Audrey's head.

Dating had never been something he cared about. Back on the Isle, he would stay away from relationships, only sleeping with whatever girl he could get into bed. But even after trying that again, he couldn't get the purple-haired beauty out of his mind.

So there he was, sitting on a bench outside of campus, staring out at the ocean in front of him. If he wanted to, he could go back to the Isle, grab a ship, and set sail, but something kept him in Auradon. Hope? Foolishness? He didn't know. But before he could think too much, he felt a pair of hands reach around him and cover his eyes.

"Shouldn't you be in the King's office, deciding whether you want your castle to be six or seven bedrooms?" He asked with a slight edge, a small smirk on his lips.

Mal narrowed her eyes and dropped her hands. "It's not fun when you always know it's me."

"I know it's you because you're the only person who isn't scared to sneak up on me."

The girl shrugged before sitting next to him on the bench. "So..." she started, not knowing where to start.

Harry turned his head towards her, his smirk growing. "What are you going to ask me to do now, princess?"

Mal shook her head, "I'm not going to ask you to do anything. I just wanted to ask you something."

"Go on."

"You went away for a week when the barrier came down. Uma said you and Gil took a ship and sailed around before coming back. What did it feel like? Being completely free?"

Harry raised an eyebrow at her question. Her usual confidence was gone, replaced with something he had never seen before with Mal. Uncertainty.

"It's everything you've imagined. There are no rules, no barriers. It felt like anything was possible. There's a little bit of fear of the unknown, but you don't care because it just feels so good. You want to scream at the top of your lungs and never stop. It's pure happiness and freedom."

Mal stared at him while he spoke, clearing her throat when she realized he had finished. "Funny. That's almost exactly how Evie explained falling in love."

"Well, it's no secret that the ocean is my one true love." He let out a chuckle, "Why would she need to explain something like that? It's not like you don't have experience in that particular department." Harry's eyes traveled across the campus, towards Ben and his parents. "You seem to know all about true love."

She let out a small sigh, "I thought I did."

Harry wanted to ask her to elaborate, but before he could, the school bell rang.

Mal stood up quickly and grabbed her backpack off of the ground. "Better head to class. I'll see you tonight for dinner with everyone." And with that, she left.

He didn't know what to think of their conversation. All he knew was that perhaps Mal's life wasn't as perfect as it had seemed on television or even in front of his own eyes. Time, he figured, would give him the answers he wanted.