1 - Baelie

I swept my frizzy, dark brown hair up into a bun and secured it with an elastic, then stuck a pencil in it, hoping it wouldn't fall out, and I wouldn't forget about it. Grabbing my binder out of my locker, I checked my watch. Fifty minutes to go until show time.

I smoothed my nervous hands on my jeans, and retied my black hoodie around my waist, which was my claim to fame. The creepily perky guidance counselor really emphasized on her "Be YOUnique" program, and this hoodie was my ticket in somehow. In fact, most people called me Hoodie Girl, even my teachers and friends.

Checking my watch again, I slammed my locker door shut. I heard something fall inside, but didn't care. Forty-five minutes, and it was all over. I nervously clutched my USB and hurried into my half-full English class, taking my seat and keeping my head down.

Leslie sat down next to me, and I caught the scent of Jolly Ranchers coming off her. She ate so many, yet still managed to have perfectly white teeth.

"Want some?" she asked, offering me a red one.

"No thanks."

Leslie shrugged good-naturedly. "You'll want it later."

I twirled a lock of my wavy brown hair and occasionally fixed my glasses. My mom consistently tells me I look like a nerd, or a geek, but what did I care?

Collin slid in beside me, effortlessly looking cool. Since I was the only person sitting next to him, at least eight other girls sent me a nasty look.

He pushed my glasses back up my nose, since they had begun to fall again. "Nervous?" he asked.

I gave a little shrug. "Maybe."

"Cool shirt," he commented.

I looked down at my Attack of the Clones shirt that mainly featured doe-eyed Padme and Anakin. "Thanks," I said quietly, then started playing with a hole in my jeans.

One of the girls who had previous glared at me sent a flirtatious smile towards Collin, only to receive an exasperated sigh in return.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance," the intercom crackled.

I stood up and, for the sake of making life interesting, mumbled what I could remember of the Jedi Code. Unfortunately for Collin, he overheard, and snorted loudly enough to be asked to sit down.

"Sorry," I whispered when announcements were over and we were allowed to talk again.

Collin's startling light eyes twinkled in amusement. "It's okay."

After a few more moments of quiet chattering, the teacher finally stood up and started the day. Mrs. Allard was an amazing teacher that always let our class, the advanced class, do fun projects. She was, by far, the best teacher I've ever had. No contest.

"Okay, class! Did everyone complete their science fiction projects?"

She paused and managed to get back a mumbled response. After clearing her throat expectantly, Collin yelled, "yES!"

"Awesome! Let's start with Maddi, then."

Maddi's presentation was extremely boring, no offense to her. Little by little, everyone gave their presentations until it was just me and Collin left.

I shakily stood up and grabbed the USB, fighting away the waves of nausea I got from class presentations as I made my way to the computer. I plugged the USB in, clicked on the file, and made a tiny mental prayer that everyone wouldn't fall out of their chairs laughing.

I clicked the laptop's space bar, and the presentation began - starting with the opening crawl, but with my words instead of theirs. I cleared my throat and faced the expectant class. "This is my science fiction presentation," I said, trying not to stutter.