Chapter 5 : The feeling of home

After leaving the gym room Happy took us upstairs and climbed the second staircase towards the floor upstairs. "He kept your room in the same way as you left it. Although we have moved from Malibu." He said as he opened the door for me. My old bedroom did never change a thing : the fluffy double bed, heavy oak bookcases, the black wardrobe, a professional study table and Greek white dressing table but I know they have changed the mattress and bedsheets regularly for hygienic reasons. Placing my bag on the bed I took out the clothes and placed them in the closet and sets my laptop on the study table. After plugging the charger on my phone I took a shower. Stepping out from the bathroom I put on an over-sized white suit with a white tank top beneath it plus a pair of black shorts and started drying my hair while sitting on the bed when my laptop lets out a beep.

Still holding the towel I sat in front of the computer and turned on my laptop. When I entered the video call application I tapped on the accept call button and Damian's face flickered into view with a black dog behind him. "Hello Raven." He said.

"Hello Damian, I haven't heard from you for a long time."

"I have been working with the Teen Titans."

"The young team of superheroes? Good for you." I said.

"Pennyworth tells me that my father is romantically involved with you."

"Is that an issue for you?" I asked, brows arching in response.

"No, I didn't say that." He rebuffed. "Pennyworth also tells me that father has asked for your hand in marriage and you accepted." A laugh.

"And? You have mommy issues?"

"I don't have... fine. But it's not what this is about."

"Sorry, I'm just joking." I said. 

"Well based on my father's poor choices of women before you, I personally trusted you."

"Oh wow, I'm honoured. Exactly why? Aren't you the family guy type?"

"No." He replied sarcastically. "The choices are not limited to my mother."

"Ah, the mother neglected you?"

"True. I am also aware of what are you up to."

"If you are in contact with Alfred yes I do have calculated the possibility."

"He mentioned that you received a damehood for saving the queen's life and she also invested you in the Order of the Sacred Garter."

"Yes." I said.

"And your bloodline stretched into European countries."

"Why wouldn't I say no? It's true that my family's bloodline stretched into European countries through marriages."

"And becoming the POTUS' adopted daughter."

"You can stop listing."

"Fine."

"Your dog?" I gestured to the black Danish hound behind him.

"Titus."

"Ah. Anything else?" 

"Yes, there is." He replied, taking out a box maybe was placed under the table. "I received a dead raven and robin."

"That raven's obvious. It's me."

"It's a technique from the League of Assassins."

"A bounty hunt, or a hint of warning. The League is making their move."

"You didn't forget?"

"Kid, I have been through bounty hunting lessons before you were born. And I can tell, we're being hunted."

"But the question is who?"

"I will do my own investigation. You should do your own."

"I will contact you once I have some findings." Nodding I ended the call and laid back on the chair, completely forgetting the wet towel. Combing my hair after drying it I placed back the towel to dry I laid on the bed, clutching my laptop. 

"Seems like the past is catching up." I muttered to myself. Setting the laptop aside I took a book and flipped through the pages, stopping at a particular page. "The League of Assassins hunts their prey by sending a dead animal or object related to the intended target before the real hunt." Then I turned when my phone vibrated on the desk. Unplugging the charger I took my phone and it was a message sent by an anonymous person. 

"Sayalfir Finiks. 10 Avenue, Florida." The message only said. Receiving this message only meant one thing to me : a calling card from the League of Assassins that knows me by name.

10 Avenue, Florida

The address directed me to an abandoned factory with old and rusting machines remaining. Wearing my assassin armor I kept my hood and face mask on with weapons hidden within the suit or artfully sheathed behind my back. The dark nature of the factory enabled me to blend in silently with the shadows and I waited for the mysterious messenger to arrive. Under the glass ceiling illuminated by the moonlight from above a woman approached. She also wields a sword and kept it sheathed on the back of her suit as she made herself visible under the moonlight. "Sayalfir!" She shouted. "Show yourself!" Waiting for a minute I appeared in her line of sight, the sword unsheathed and pointing at her. Instead of attacking she gave a slight bow and approached. "I apologize for calling you at this hour."

"What are you doing here then? Please, don't waste my time." I said impatiently.

"I require your attention at this hour." She spoke, in a soft but firm manner.

"Fine," I unsheathed my blade. "what is it?"

"Nyssa al Ghul brings a message."

"No, you know that I have disassociated myself with them."

"Yes, I know that our master has released you from your vows before letting you go. But this is not about the league."

"Still, Sandra, I don't have to remind you again. Any member of the al Ghul's are no friends or allies of mine."

"Nyssa has been aware of you for sometime. She wanted your help and she meant you no harm." Then a sigh.

"I'll help you," Arms folded. "for now."

"You have my gratitude."

"What has happened?"

"After Ra's al Ghul have died the League of Assassins were split into two factions."

"One to each sister. Go on."

"The factions are now gearing for another battle. Nyssa believes that you know secrets about her half sister."

"And she thinks I'm the key to defeat her?"

"Not entirely so, you knew her before Nyssa was even born."

"You want me to hunt her down?"

"Never, she proclaimed that no one should kill her as she wanted the job done by herself."

"Sisterly rivalries... if she wanted me to help why wouldn't she come down here herself?"

"Because..." Then she quickly removed a shuriken and threw towards me. However the weapon zipped past my hood and a sound of metal clanging was heard. I gave her a warning glance but she continued. "... make your presence known, Batman." I whirled in response as he stepped out of the shadows.

"Shiva, you asked me to come alone." I said. 

"I didn't ask for him. The boy was sent a box containing a dead raven and robin." I lets out a cold and brutal laugh in respond. 

"What now Sandra?" I mused. "Asking me or him to do the job for you?"

"I ask for you." She said. "I know that the dead animals will gauge interests for a confrontation. I did not summon him here."

"All right, I'll do this mission for you. But remember, align me with them again, don't expect me treating you fairly." Simply nodded with her back turned against us she disappeared into the shadows, leaving us alone in the warehouse.