Chapter 6

Good god, what is that dreadful pounding? I rolled over, putting a pillow over my head. Ah, peaceful silence. I smiled, until the pounding started again. Dear god, it's back.

"Sherlock, open this door Don't make me break it down." John shouted.

His voice has a kind of nasal, muted quality. It's kind of charming. Should I ignore him? Maybe I should let him break down the door. No, he's too old, he might break something. "John, for the love of god, stop! Come in."

"It's locked, you nit."

I sighed. "Then find a key."

"Sherlock, get up off your lazy ass and open this door at once."

He's just going to keep shouting, better do as he says. I pulled my sleep mask up, trounced over to the door and opened it.

John pushed his way in, wrinkling his nose. "Jesus, it stinks in here. I can see or rather smell that you were productive last night."

I sniffed. "I don't smell anything, must be one of my different varieties of tobacco. What can I do for you?"

"Where were you last night?"

I shrugged. "I went for a walk, and why are you so out of sorts? I thought you were busy last night, procuring...relief."

"Well, I wasn't relaxed enough to procure said relief."

I arched an eyebrow. "Hmm, these things tend to creep up on one. Better get it checked out, get a blue pill, bend over, cough, whatever you need to do. Your health should come first."

John sat on the edge of the bed, covering his face with both hands. "Sherlock, you had me worried. The limo driver said you just took off. Where were you?"

"I told you, I went for a walk, then fell asleep on the beach. When I woke up, someone had placed a holo card on my chest. It invited me to play an online game called, The Master and the Servant. Apparently, Lucien was addicted to it." I handed John my laptop, watching him while he scrolled through the website. A thin sliver of daylight illuminated his face, revealing the bags under his eyes. He looked tired. I frowned. Was the game taking its toll? "John, why don't we go to your room? I'm sure it's not messy."

He looked over at me, then sniffed. "You're not coming near my room until you shower."

I folded my arms across my chest. "You know I don't like showers. I'll take a bath."

He rolled his eyes. "I suppose you want me to draw it for you?"

I smiled. "Yes, please, that would be lovely."

"Fine, but don't linger."

I could hear the squeak from the turning knobs, then running water. John muttered to himself. I smiled, taking comfort in his low grumblings. A few moments later he came back into the room. "Did you have trouble with the knobs?" I asked. Not waiting for an answer, I continued. "You know you should have activated voice command and let the house's smart device fill the tub."

John folded his arms across his chest. "Well, you could've reminded me."

I began to disrobe, leaving a trail of clothes on the way to the bathroom. "Now, where would be the fun in that?"

"Asshole," John whispered.

I grabbed the door frame, balancing myself I slipped off my pants, throwing them in his direction. I chuckled when he jumped back.

"Nice," he said. "You're lucky those didn't hit me."

I smirked. "Since you didn't get lucky last night, I thought you might be grateful."