two. FIRST DAYS

▷second chapter: first days!◁

___

"I LOOK LIKE A GOSSIP GIRL CHARACTER," Beatrix said looking at herself in the living room mirror, dressed in the Upstate Prep uniform.

"You look fine," her father said from the sofa.

"I don't see what's wrong with looking like a Gossip Girl character anyway," Beverly added, sitting beside him. "I'd sell my soul to Satan for one ounce of Blair Waldorf's style and grace."

Raymond, who, like most Argentinians, had been raised Catholic, grimaced. "Don't say that."

"It's true though."

Beatrix just tugged at her box pleated skirt, not paying attention to them. The skirt had a matching black jacket, white buttoned blouse, and black duffle school bag, all of which had the Upstate crest sewed onto it (a white shield with a black stallion that had its legs lifted imposingly mid-gallop on top of it, which Beatrix thought looked stupid as hell).

She hated the uniform.

For one, it was ugly and just looking at it made her want to barf, but to add upon that, the fabric was itchy and it was much too tight compared to the pajamas and baggy clothing she wore throughout the seven years of virtual school.

"I'm radiating in some weird, pompous garbage energy," Beatrix stated.

"Well, all the students wear the same exact thing so everyone will radiate pompous garbage energy," Raymond said, "Whatever that means."

This was a plethora of first days for their family. It was the first day in eight years that Beatrix would spend at school, it was Beverly's first day back after the winter break and it was Raymond's first day back as a coach at Empire State University he'd taken some time off shortly after the death of his wife.

"We ready to head out?" Raymond asked. "Or should we keep going at the uniform-complaining for another fifteen minutes?"

"Meh..." both twins let out simultaneously.

"Come on, let's get pumped!" he encouraged like the dork dad he was. "First day of school for you guys, first day back at work for me, this is exciting!"

"We appreciate the effort dad but there is nothing exciting about those two things," Bev said.

"Fine, be like that." Raymond stood up and crossed his arms. "I, on the other hand, am staring today with a positive outlook. What about you Bea?"

Beatrix shrugged. "What are we having for breakfast?"

"I'm gonna say it right now," Beverly started, "I'm not eating a casserole for breakfast on the first day of school. I'd rather starve."

"We'll stop for food on the way then," Raymond said. He walked over to the coat hanger in the corner of the room throwing Bev her black prep school jacket and taking his trench coat. "This is going to be an amazingly perfect day."