Memories Lead to Hope (Part 2)

Category: Short Story

Character: Crono

Fandom: Wings of Fire

"Crono!" A large Seawing with green and greyscales approached. Said female rose her head after having a good night's sleep. "Come on! Draco and Salazar are back!"

Red stained bodies littered across the fields and rubble. Hearts racing breaths short, but I couldn't breathe. Not again. It's not real.

"Why didn't you save us Crono?" Seafoam! I'm sorry! I wasn't strong enough! I couldn't get there fast enough! "You're a traitor. You should have stayed and died with Scarlet." I'm sorry.

"Crono wake up." A bored voice spoke as the female raised her head. "We have to head to the Academy." Crono sighed and looked to her supposed 'friend'' Cove.

Rolling herself out of the mud and sand bed she made for herself, Crono's golden-brown eyes met metallic teal one. A dark green snout and matching wings and body covered in light blue stripe as if taunting her eyes with how they shone in the light.

Cove looked to Crono and sighed before throwing her into the water to wake her up. Shivering Crono ran to the shore and shook off the water. Crono looked to the male, a bored look on her face.

"Where's Lemur?" She asked simply. "Is she already at the academy?" Cove nodded roughly having still not been fond of the cannibal.

"Hurry up though. We don't want to be late." Before Crono could say anything else Cove had taken off.

Rude. Crono thought gruffly. Looking to the lake that wasn't to far from the Sea Kingdom Crono sighed. Seafoam, River and Slate would love this place.

"Crono! Let's head to the lake!" Seafoam laughed her cheery green and grey eyes quickly finding Crono's own. "You promised that if I did good on the test you'd come!" Laughing Crono agrees and followed the larger female.

"Seafoam," a white and green scaled male hybrid exclaimed as a smaller light green and dark blue striped Seawing followed. "You manage to get my ugly aunt up!?" At this the smaller Seawing joined in the taunting.

Seafoam rolled her eyes at the immature male and lugged Crono along. "It'll be fun." She whispered to Crono, as if telling an important secret only they could know. "I promise tomorrow will be a day you won't forget." How right you were, but it wasn't what I was suspecting.

Shaking her head Crono took to the sky refusing to allow her memories resurface. They wouldn't want me to dwell. Right? For the last year, the voice in Crono's head hadn't spoken and she knew why. HE was coming, and she knew a fight was coming soon.

The only problem, Crono looked to the sky, I'm not doing this alone. I have dragons to protect and save. Including the voice. Determined golden-brown eyes looked towards the rising sun in the distance. I just hope they're willing to listen.

"Don't worry Crono, we'll always be friends." Crono gave the female a confused look. "What? I mean it!" The larger female looked down and gave a reassuring smile.

"Why?" The shorter, but by far, more dangerous of the two questioned. "I'm a monster aren't I?" Shaking his head and sighing the red-scaled Skywing showed his mangled and ripped leg.

"You're our friend, and we know you never meant to do this." Draco, the Skywing, gave a grin. "Because we believe in you, we trust you." Crono's heart dropped in both panic and glee. The two taller dragons wrapped their wings around Crono and they stayed like that, even as Crono allowed tears to flow.

"Thank you."

Yes, it hurt to remember, but these memories gave Crono hope. Hope that one day, she could find friends like them again, and if not? At least she had her memories to cherish them by. "Thank you, Seaform, Draco." And with that, her journey has begun.