i. hop, skip, and a jump

Nina shot up out out bed at the sound of her alarm clock taking over the peaceful silence

Nina shot up out out bed at the sound of her alarm clock taking over the peaceful silence. Early mornings were never something she looked forward to, especially now that the band had to pack and fly out for the road. Waiting for her heart rate to slow down just a little, she rubbed sleep from her eyes and pushed her hair out of her face, sliding out of bed to hop into the shower. She had since moved into a small one bedroom apartment with Eddie and Alex getting her on her feet as they finished their next album, settling into Van Halen's crew of roadies and techs. The turn of the decade meant it was time for changes to their style, and it meant that their shows were going to get bigger and better.

Stepping into the hot shower, Nina breathed a deep sigh as the water relaxed her muscles almost immediately. She knew she couldn't stay in there long, as she had to be ready to leave as soon as 8 in the morning. Nina hummed a mindless tune that came to her head as she rinsed her hair once through, most of her belongings being packed away. At the sound of her phone ringing, she wildly stumbled out of the shower, throwing a towel around herself and nearly slipping on the vinyl floors of the bathroom in order to reach it. Nina pulled the phone off the hook and leaned onto her nightstand.

"Hello?"

"You awake?" Alex's voice perked Nina up even more.

"I've been awake." Nina chirped, sitting down on her bed.

"Okay good. Our car is coming to get you here soon. Got everything ready?"

"Ready when you are. I have to make sure everything I keep track of made it on the plane and we're set."

"So Dave's five articles of clothing and his guitar."

"And Dave. And everything else."

"That too. See you in a little while, Ninny."

"Bye, Al."

Nina hung up the phone as quickly as she could, drying herself off with the towel she was using. She pulled on a t-shirt, jeans, and converse, something simple enough to get to work, and to get on a plane to New York City for the start of the tour.

Nina heard a series of honks from a car horn outside, signaling that her brothers, David, and Michael had arrived at her apartment complex. She smiled to herself and gathered the rest of her needed belongings. With one last glance around the apartment to make sure she was closing up right, she locked the door behind her and made her way to Eddie's car.

"Thar she blows!" David craned himself outside of the window of the backseat, greeting Nina with open arms. She waved back wildly, racing to the car as fast as she could with her suitcase and backpack.