We Can Be Right

Nico didn't know how it happened.

After the war, he'd spent time in the infirmary, taken care of by the blonde Apollo kid. They'd talked to each other--more than Nico had probably ever talked in his life--and exchanged stories and memories. It took awhile for Nico to get used to the company, but he liked it.

When Nico's wounds healed and he was no longer at risk of dissipating into the shadows, he left the infirmity.

And then it happened.

The Apollo boy still talked to him.

Will, he said his name was. Will Solace.

Will Solace, the boy who had befriended the child of Hades.

The two sat next to each other during meals (wholeheartedly breaking the rules) and crept into Nico's cabin (Will's cabin was a bit too crowded) late in the night. They helped out in the infirmary and told jokes while cutting bandages. They attempted archery and shadow traveled together.

Nico just didn't know how it happened. He had gained an actual friend.

The concept was rather new to him.

Someone knocked on the door. "Nico, come out here." Will's voice rang through the thin barrier.

Nico smiled to himself. "Just come inside; I don't want to go out."

"Oh, come on, Nico. It's not healthy to stay inside. Get out here. Doctor's orders."

The child of Hades couldn't help himself. "Fine, I'm coming." He pulled on his aviator jacket and black shoes, stumbling out the door with only one of the shoes tied.

Will was tapping his fingers against the side of his leg. "Hey."

Seeing that radiant smile and bright eyes and golden hair--it all made Nico smile. "Hi, Will."

The blonde looked at the other boy, his expression unreadable. "Mind if we talk over there?" he asked.

"No, of course not. Let's go," Nico said, wondering why Will looked so... Nervous? Unfocused? Confused?

After leading Nico to an area free of people, Will leaned against the trunk of a tree. The wind rattled the leaves above his head.

"So," Will said. "I think it's time I told you something obvious."

Raising an eyebrow, Nico waited for the boy to continue.

"Don't get mad at me or shadow travel away if I totally misinterpreted us."

Nico could have swore his heart skipped a beat. "Um, okay. Go ahead."

"Nico," Will began, the wind tousling his glowing hair, "I think I kind of like you." A small smile crept up on the boy's face.

Nico's blood started to race and a pang coursed through his chest. "As--as a friend?" His voice barely worked.

Will's smile widened. "Don't play dumb." The son of Apollo stepped closer. "I like you a bit more than that."

Suddenly, everything became very real to Nico.

It was so much easier admitting things to Percy after Nico finally accepted himself. Percy was such a caring person and Nico knew Poseidon's son would never return the feelings he felt for him. There was nothing to lose.

But this.

This was different.

Because Will was saying something

that Nico thought he'd never hear

and it was making his heart

beat faster than ever before.

There was something to lose here.

Nico could actually lose Will, which was different than Percy, since he never had Percy in the first place.

Lost for words, Nico stared down at his battered black shoes.

"Nico?"

Pushing down his fear--whatever that fear was, exactly--Nico looked up into Will's beautiful blue eyes.

Oh, gods.

Will. Solace's. Beautiful. Blue. Eyes.

What was he thinking?

Nico shook his head.

Oh, for the love of Hades, just say it.

"I might kind of possibly like you, too. Not as a friend." As soon as the words tumbled from his mouth, Nico felt the redness fleeing to his cheeks.

Will's eyes lit up and he moved in even closer, the gap between the two boys shrinking.

Doing the unexpected (or maybe it was expected, but Nico hadn't even thought of it as a possibility), Will reached out and took the boy's hand. His heart fluttered.

Nico couldn't get his pulse to slow down. "Will, I--I don't know if I can do this."

The son of Apollo tilted his head. "What wrong?"

Although reluctant, Nico pulled his hand away. "What are people going to think of this?" The boy motioned helplessly to the air. "Of us?"

"Gods, Nico," Will said, his voice quiet. He lingered inches away from Nico's face. "What people think of us? That's not going to matter. Right now, it's me and you that matter."

"Will." Nico took the slightest step back, his hands shaking. "This is wrong. We--no, we can't do this, Will. We're at camp and we should be focus on training and people will see us and we're two, uh--you know. This is wrong. This--this isn't how it should--"

Wrapping his arms around Nico's waist, Will pulled the son of Hades closer. He pressed his lips gently against the other boy's, only the tiniest gasp escaping Nico. "Don't worry, Nico," Will whispered. "We can be right."