Introduction

Because I just can't stop writing SpAus, this book will house all of the oneshots I write! Now, for a little background so I don't have to explain every chapter!

The House of Hapsburg was (technically still is) Austria's royal family. On October 20, 1496, Philip I of the Hapsburg family (later known as Philip of Castile) married Joanna of Castile (later Joanna the Mad), the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella, the Spanish kind and queen who united Castile and Aragón. Their son and heir, Charles I was crowned the joint ruler of Spain and Austria in 1516, as well as Holy Roman Emperor later on.

Hapsburg Spain lasted from 1516 to 1700, during which Spain experienced it's Golden Age. Just before and during this time period, Spain "discovered" and colonized the Caribbean, and Central and South America. (There was also some Renaissance stuff going on too which was cool.) on July 29, 1617, the treaty of Oñate split Hapsburg territory into Sr. (Hapsburg Spain) and Jr. (Hapsburg Austria/Hapsburg Monarchy) territories.

[Yellow is Austrian Hapsburg territories in Europe, and Red is Spanish Hapsburg territories in Europe

[Yellow is Austrian Hapsburg territories in Europe, and Red is Spanish Hapsburg territories in Europe. Spain kept its overseas colonies as-is, meaning they stayed Spanish. This map displays the territories in 1700.]

The Hapsburg rule in Spain came to an end in 1700 when Charles II died childless on November 1. This brought in the War of Spanish Succession, a war that lasted from the July of 1701 to August 1714. Basically it was over who had the right to the Spanish throne: Philip I of the French Bourbon dynasty, grandson of Louis XIV, or Charles VI (sometimes known as Charles III when concerning his titles of King ofBohemia and Archduke of Austria) of the Austrian Hapsburg Dynasty, Holy Roman Emperor and son of Leopold I.

The Bourbons won, and so the French Dynasty sat atop the Spanish throne, though Philip and his descendants had to give up their claim to the French throne, as they could not rule both.

And there's your mini history lesson in 335 words! Happy reading!