Chapter Ten

Keira sat slumped against the back of the chair, an ice pack pressed tightly to her side, despite how much she had protested against it. 

But the presence of Secretary Ross was only adding to her irritation as he never seemed to shut his mouth. 

"I don't suppose you have any idea where they are?"

"We will. GSG-9'S got the borders covered. Recon's flying 24/7. They'll get a hit. We'll handle it." Tony responded. 

"You don't get it, Stark. It's not yours to handle. It's clear you can't be objective. I'm putting Special Ops on this."

"What happens when the shooting starts?" Natasha asked. 

"Tell me, Secretary Ross," Keira said. "Do you end up killing Steve Rogers?"

"If we're provoked. Barnes would've been eliminated in Romania if it wasn't for Rogers. There are dead people who would be alive now. Feel free to check my math."

What an arsehole. 

"All due respect, you're not going to solve this with boys in bullets, Ross. You gotta let us bring them in."

"How would that end any differently from the last time?" Secretary Ross pressed on. 

"Because this time, I won't be wearing loafers and a silk shirt. 72 hours, guaranteed." Tony bargained. 

"36 hours." Secretary Ross concluded. "Barnes. Rogers. Cadman. Wilson." 

"Thank you, sir," Tony said, before slumping into the nearest chair, exhaling loudly. 

Keira shared a look with Natasha, knowing exactly how the redhead must be feeling right now. Natasha didn't know where Aquila was at the moment, whether or not she was okay or what she was doing. The separation that Natasha and Aquila were experiencing despite their heart to heart earlier, were causing both of them to take it quite hard. 

"My left arm is numb, is that normal?"

"You alright?" Nat asked Tony. 

"Always." Tony said, looking at both of them. "36 hours, jeez."

"We're seriously understaffed," Keira commented. 

"Oh, yeah. It'd be great if we had a Hulk right about now. Any shot?"

"No." Natasha replied, smiling slightly at Tony's half-hearted attempt to get under her skin. "You really think he'd be on our side?"

"No."

"I have an idea." Natasha blurted out. 

"Me too. Where's yours?"

"Downstairs. Where's yours?" Natasha asked as Tony only smiled slightly at her. 

Keira's eyes scanned the scenery outside of the window beside her. The silence in the car was deafening as her and Tony made their way to Queens to pick up their newest recruit. 

The tension was still thick between the couple since their fight so many days ago. 

"You know, I am sorry, Keira." Tony suddenly said, breaking the silence. "I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. That woman, she just provoked me. And those things they will always be true, but I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I'm sorry." 

Keira smiled, accepting the apology. "I'm sorry too. I went out of line as well. But honestly, Tony, you look like you haven't slept in days."

"That's because I haven't." Tony sent her a small grimace. "Between the Accords and everything and besides, you weren't there."