CHAPTER NINE: BLUE

Maybe you didn't realize it then, or maybe I was trying to fool myself into thinking that you didn't, but often - when I spoke of warriors who had their hearts poisoned with darkness and curses, I was actually speaking of myself. But you, you never judged. Not once. You always looked at me as if I were the Sun, telling me that everybody has light in them. That they just need someone who would believe in them enough, someone who would awake their strength and help them win against the darkness.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER NINE: BLUE

SILENT Brothers did not engage themselves in battle. In fact, they have set their weapons aside for life and dedicated themselves to pursuing wisdom. Too preoccupied with their exhausting research, they rarely interacted with Shadowhunters. Unless, of course, it was absolutely necessary. Like it was now.

To Will Herondale, it seemed like Brother Jeremiah had stood by Marie Wayland's bed for quite a while, trying to penetrate the barriers of her mind and find out what was happening to the girl. Unfortunately for the male Shadowhunter, he wasn't capable of reading the gestures and behavior of a Silent Brother which ultimately drew him mad.

Will's heart was beating an irregular pace, practically begging him to disturb the work of the Silent Brother and ask his questions, thankfully - his mind rebuked him the moment the wild idea entered his thoughts. Charlotte's threatening gaze resurfaced right before his eyes, reminding him of her sharp words as he knocked on the Infirmary room's door only hours before now.

"You can come in if you promise not to bother Brother Jeremiah."

Sighing deeply, Will did just that. He gave his word that he would leave the Silent Brother alone, as long as he was allowed to be by Marie's side.

Despite enduring various heart-shattering events in the past few days, Will knew that there was no place he'd rather be. He had, after all, missed Marie. And that was not even the worst part about it. He had caught himself thinking about the girl multiple times, not for any specific reason, simply because his mind liked reminiscing on the warm memories the two had shared. Occasionally, he would even hear her gentle voice calling onto him, inviting him on an adventure. It would be just the two of them and they would laugh and run, talk and smile, hold hands and look at each other.

But every single time, his mind recalled those thoughts, he was reminded that they weren't to share such moments anymore. And that had left him feeling as if all the air was knocked out of him.

I have finalized my work.

The deep, striking words of Brother Jeremiah rang in the ears of Shadowhunters who were present in the room. Charlotte and Tessa were opposite the Silent Brother, Jem and Henry seated across one of the beds next to Marie's. Will, on the other hand, had his back leaned against the cold wall.

"And?" Will couldn't help himself. "What did you find out?"

The Silent Brother wasted no time, turning himself to the dark-haired Shadowhunter. His eyes were non-existent, his mouth sewn shut. The dark hood he had been wearing only added more to the scary appearance of Jeremiah.

Will Herondale, impatient as always.

"I am not impatient," Will said as shivers danced across his spine. "I just want to know what is going on."