ONE

Seventh of November 2006. Alan Jonathan, a child psychiatrist. My job is to interview children, ill children. I was in charge of a middle school student, Otis Dela. A survivor of the 2006 mass murder.

Otis stayed for a week now. During this week he never spoke. All the previous interviews failed terribly. You'll think that a part of being a psychiatrist is to be able to read the patient's eyes. However, his eyes were completely empty. So what's there to read?

Today of all days, the nurses told me that Otis is ready to speak. Below the dim light of the bulb, he sat across the metal table staring downwards. I was well informed of what occurred on the night of the Halloween party, the night of the mass murder in Otis's middle school. But I wanted to hear it from him so I asked, "Otis Dela?" he didn't respond, his gaze still low. "On the 31st of October, do you remember what happened that night?"

He looked at me straight; I was startled but tried my best to hide it. It's the first time I saw his deep-set eyes. Now that I think about it, his features are all black and white. Black messy hair, pale skin, and grey eyes.

"There was a Halloween party arranged by my classmates," he fixed his eyes to his clenched hands and spoke below his breath. I had to be incredibly quiet to hear him properly. "I didn't want to come. I don't like to be in a crowd. And the noise, I'm... I'm not so fond of these things. Eventually, I came. The boy who sat next to me convinced me. The party was in the school's gym. Usually, the school doesn't conduct such an event. But because it's our last year in middle school, the principal allowed it. Most of the party, I was in and out of the bathroom. I was anxious about the noise and the people. Once I was there, I panicked. I couldn't breathe and I was shaking so much to keep my hands fixed on my ears. Trying to conceal the noise. Then my—my chest hurt... so much, I couldn't see."

I tried to calm him down; I called for his name more than once and assured him that he's safe. I told him to breathe slowly. "Do you know what happened next?"

He looked me in the eyes, shook his head sideways, then said, "Doctor, why am I here?" I was quiet for a moment. "Doctor, please... tell me, what happened...?"