4: Chaos

8/17/3028

"Doing you a favor, broad," Fij said. His dirt stained nails gripped the similarly soiled knife tightly and marched toward me.

Elossai protested loudly in the distant transporter, unable to come to my aid. Martin and Gundhram clamored as well, but the bandits were quick to subdue them.

The pounding of my heart thumped deafeningly in my ears. There was no one left to help me now.

Run.

I turned to flee, but Fij caught me easily by the arm.

"Let go!" I cried.

"Try to run again and I'll make it hurt." Fij gestured with his free hand for his men to come, but his men exchanged tepid glances between themselves. Only one was brave enough to approach us.

Fij spat on the ground. "You call yourselves men? Only Kalen is brave enough to step up when called? There ain't no such thing as the Ruhamun, and I'll prove that to the lot of you!"

The one bandit positioned himself behind me and held my arms behind me. "Fij," Kalen said. "Maybe this isn't a good idea—"

"Shut up an' do your job, Kalen," Fij barked, now trying to hold my face still.

I was trapped with no hope of escape. I shut my eyes tight in a blind hope and the words of Sye-Liene came to me.

The corin within.

Manipulating corin isn't an option for me, but not for Sye-Liene.

I opened my eyes and stared back at Fij in a silent plea. Tears brimmed over as he brought the knife close. There wasn't a tinge of guilt or remorse in his cruel gaze.

I let out a cry, a cry of desperation that came from deep within. All at once, fear and sorrow departed my thoughts.

Absence. Absence of thought and control of my body.

Sight—complete darkness. Hearing—deafening silence. Physical sensations—intercepted by strong interference.

Right after, I was immediately inundated by an overwhelming wave of confusion.

I only felt present again after I fell flat on the mud, like I had lost control of my body. My vision was glassy from the tears, but I had my vision from both eyes.

I haven't lost my eye.

Then I wondered how I was even on the ground.

Fij was gone and so was the bandit who had been standing behind me. Prisoners were in complete disarray around me, fighting against the bandits. Boxes and logs had caught on fire.

What's happening?

Martin, Katie and Rydion weren't where I last saw them. No one was.

I got to my feet and realized that I wasn't standing in the spot I was before with Fij. My gaze then darted to the carriage where I knew Elossai was held. I saw her shaking at the bars screaming something at me, but I couldn't decipher what she was saying. Everything around me was so loud.

"Gotcha!" Fij struck me in the back and knocked me to the ground.

I rolled over onto my back, facing him. He had a bloodied nose and his eyes were wild as he brandished a knife high over his head. The intent was undeniable. His malice radiated from him and its flame was moments from scorching me.

"No, wait—" I choked on my words, raising my hands to try and protect my face. Fij wouldn't have stopped even if I hadn't choked.

Just when Fij was about to plunge me through, Gundhram collided into Fij from the side and smacked the knife out of his hand. With a swift kick, Gundhram tripped him and Fij fell beside me.