𝐢𝐢. ETHAN NAKAMURA

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER TWO ▬▬▬▬▬

ESMERELDA WAS HAVING A WEIRD dream. She was being carried by someone—a man probably, since his hands felt big—and she was pretty sure that she was a baby. She was wailing and she could feel a slight pain in her stomach. She wanted food. She was hungry. She opened her mouth to cry out again. Maybe he could understand her?

"Shh, shh, shh, little Essie," said the muffled voice of a man. He sounded like he was miles away from her and she was underwater. But there were still some things she could notice from it. He sounded... young. And there was an accent in his voice. Or maybe she was just hearing things. It upset her that she didn't know what his voice really sounded like. She really really wanted to know.

She cried again.

"Oh my poor darling..." The voice crooned. "Are you hungry, dear? Don't cry, my love. Daddy's here."

Daddy? This was her dad? He didn't sound very godlike. He sounded kind, gentle... human.

He was cradling her against his chest and her face was looking up, but much to her dismay, she couldn't see what he looked like. His face blurred out. It was just a swirl of color. She couldn't even tell what the color of his hair was, or his eyes.

She let out a wail, and finally he seemed to understand.

"Ah, are you hungry then? Is that it? Here, drink this." A bottle was placed over her lips and she began drinking the milk eagerly. Once she was done, the bottle was set aside and he was back to lightly bouncing her against his chest.

"Better now?" He asked.

She burped in response.

He chuckled and peered down at her. It made her sad that she couldn't see his face clearly.

"I wish for you to live prosperously, my sweet Essie." He whispered, and his voice was laced heavily in sadness. "I fear you might not, especially with me as your father. I hope that you don't make the same mistakes like I foolishly did." He said bitterly.

She made a cooing noise and tried to reach out for him. A hand grasped hers entirely, and he leaned down to peck her her knuckles affectionately. "But don't worry my love." He murmured, sounding much sadder. "I am going to make this world a better place for you, I swear it. One day, I'll be a father you could be proud of."

He sounded farther away now...

And suddenly, the dream was over.

She woke up to Connor shaking her. "Wh-what is it?" She asked groggily, lifting her arms over her head to stretch only to be reminded of the car's roof.

"Basil sniffed out a monster nearby while he and Trav were out stealing breakfast." He informed her and she was wide awake now. It had only been a little over a day since she'd been on the run with them and so far, they managed to get attacked by seventeen monsters.