chapter eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN: "ULTRON'S GOING TO EVOLVE"

Olive did end up having a tea party with Lila, and she ended up having more fun than she would care to admit. Halfway through the tea party, however, she was interrupted by a new face showing itself in the Barton household. Nick Fury.

By now, it was getting late. The sun had already set and the stars were shining brightly. The Avengers (and Olive) sat around in the kitchen, with Nick Fury explaining what he knew so far. Olive nervously tapped her fingers against the kitchen table, finding the situation far too stressful for comfort.

Upon noticing Olive's nerves, and the room darkening ever so slightly, Clint left the room momentarily. He quickly returned with a pen that had unicorn charm on the end of it. Olive frowned as he held it out to her, since she had never seen a pen so strange. They weren't used in Sokovia, and certainly not in Hydra. Clint quickly showed her what it was meant for, as he tapped it against the table and let the sensors inside of the unicorn charm become activated. The pen began to glow in all sorts of bright colours, from greens to yellows to pinks. The light was bright enough to calm her nerves, and the room went back to it's regular brightness, causing Clint to smile.

"Thanks." Olive smiled, taking the pen from the man. He smiled at her before making his way across the room and to a dartboard. Olive looked back at the glowing pen with a tilted head. She was aware that it was something meant for children, and not someone in their 20s, but she didn't care. She stared at the pen until the light went out, and tapped it on the table again. No one else seemed to mind the sound, as they were much more comfortable keeping the darkness a bay rather than stressing out Olive even more.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time." Fury's voice reached Olive's ears as she kept her eyes trained on the pen. "My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing." Lila then snuck into the room and handed Natasha a picture that she had drawn, before rushing off with a wide smile.

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve questioned, his brows furrowed as he leaned against a wall.

"Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though."

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asked, near the dartboard as he held a few darts in his hand.

"Yes, he is. But, he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Tony raised a brow a the man, who Olive found somewhat intimidating, though she would never say it out loud.

"Impressive." Olive hummed at Tony's comment.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that." Fury quipped.

"Nexus?" Olive questioned, her brows furrowed as she looked up.

"It's the world Internet hub in Oslo. Every bite of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth." Bruce answered, causing Steve and Olive to nod in understanding. Olive was glad that she wasn't the only clueless one. Being shut out from the world really does things to your brain.

"So, what'd they say?" Clint asked, holding a dart loosely in his hand.

Fury hummed, "he's fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed."