chapter one: the extreme always makes an impression

EPISODE ONE: MADMAX

EPISODE ONE: MADMAX

jodi rubbed her eyes, tired with sleep as she felt a pillow hit against her head, "what the shit?" jodi mumbled.

"jodi! school!" marcy shouted. jodi groaned, "can it wait? im tired."

"you can't miss school like last year. you nearly got mom sent to court." marcy crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently.

"so?" jodi moaned, resting her palms on her face.

"it's a new school, jo! maybe you'll get a boyfriend!" marcy tried to cheer jodi up.

jodi rolled her eyes and began to sit up, "i will never have a boyfriend." she didn't want one. she didn't need one.

"you're in a phase. you'll like a boy soon."

"doubt it."

___

jodi sat in mr. clarke's class. she didn't like mr. clarke's voice. she didn't know why either, it just annoyed her. that's why she wasn't paying attention to what he said. something about the brain.

suddenly, the door opened and revealed a girl with red hair in a yellow jacket. she was pretty, really pretty.

jodi met eyes with her and quickly looked away.

"ah, this must be our new student!"

the principal nodded, "indeed. these are for you," he handed over some papers to mr. clarke.

the girl went to sit down in a seat but mr. clarke pulled her back, jodi felt bad, he did the same thing to her. "hold up, you're not getting away that easy." he chuckled.

the girl was not amused.

"come on up. don't be shy. dustin, drum roll."

dustin started his drum roll.

"class, please welcome, all the way from sunny california, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage, maxine!" mr. clarke said excitedly.

"it's max." max corrected him.

jodi grinned. max was interesting.

"sorry?" mr. clarke furrowed his eyebrows.

"nobody calls me maxine. it's max." max walked to the back of the classroom as she had planned to before.

"well, all aboard, max."

___

at the end of the day, jodi found her courage to talk to her as she saw max on her skateboard.

"nice skateboard!" jodi stuck out her hand to her, "i'm jodi harrison. we're both in mr. clarke's."

max shook her hand, "max. max mayfield."

jodi nodded. she stuck her head to the side and caught the glimpse of four boys ducking down.

"you realize that those boys are stalking you?" jodi raised an eyebrow and giggled.

"shit, no. got any paper?" max pulled out a pencil from her pocket. it was barely sharpened.

"yeah." jodi pulled a piece apart from her grade homework paper in her bookbag and handed it to max.

"thanks." max scribbled down some lines than chucked it in the trash. "you wanna go to arcade tonight? 7?"

jodi nodded, "definitely." she was very happy to have a friend.

"see you there, jo!" max began to skate away.