Three

Luke woke up early the next day. Unlike all of his friends, he didn't get the pleasure of sleeping in on weekends, he had to work. He quickly put on his Waffle House uniform and looked in the mirror to fix his hair, not that it mattered, because he had to wear the stupid boat hat.

"Luke, you're late!" Kevin, Luke's manager, joked when Luke walked in, actually 10 minutes early.

"Oh crap, it looks like you're going to have to fire me." Luke smiled as he walked to the back, and hung his keys on the key hook. He shrugged off his jacket and slid it into his cubby.

"Damn, Luke I'm starting to think you really do want to be fired, with that attitude of yours." Kevin said walking behind Luke, and leaning against the sink.

"Please, please fire me!" Luke pleaded, but laughed as he pushed Kevin out of the way so he could wash his hands.

"Nahhh, I like watching you suffer." Kevin was a nice guy, and Luke really did like him. Luke didn't hate his job, he just hated waking up at 4am every Saturday and Sunday.

The front door of the shop opened, making the little dinging sound, that Luke had gotten quite tired of.

"You're on grill today little man." Kevin mumbled, walking up to the front to seat the customers. Luke likes grill, he liked cooking. And also when he was on grill, he didn't have to deal with people.

Kevin returned with the table's order, and put it on the first peg. When they were slow like this, Kevin would always put gloves on as well, and help Luke with the order. Today was no exception. He stood beside Luke and poured the batter for the pancakes. (Yes Waffle House serves pancakes, shhh) Luke looked at the ticket and groaned seeing hash browns, 3 orders of them.

About 10 minutes later Luke puts the perfectly golden potatoes on the three waiting plates. Kevin smiles at him before skillfully picking up all three plates and bringing them to the table.

"You know, of everyone that works grill, you are the best hash brown maker." Kevin says, leaning across the counter, looking at Luke.

Luke rolls his eyes and turns around to clean the grill, wiping the grease off into the grease catcher. "Don't roll your eyes at me, Mr. attitude. That was a complement you are supposed to say thanks." Luke feels Kevin beside him, but chooses to ignore him.

"Hey Luke?" Kevin's soft tone took Luke by surprise.

"Yes Kevin?"

"I know that weekends are usually just you and I in the mornings, but we have been getting busier, and I'm thinking about hiring another hand for this shift... Are you okay with that, or do you think we are fine?" The fact that his boss was asking him for permission to hire another person flattered Luke. He considered Kevin his friend, but he was still his boss.

"I don't have a problem with it, I mean it's your store, do what you want Kev." Luke's head turned to see a frightening familiar face walk through the door.

"Umm yea.. He's here for an interview, can you watch that table while we talk?" Kevin cleared his throat, looking apologetically at Luke.

Luke was frozen. All day yesterday this boy was on his mind, Luke didn't know why. He doesn't even know him. He's only said two sentences to him.

Luke watched as Kevin shook Michael's hand, and they sat down across from each other. Michael looked good. Really good. Luke shook his head, trying to shake the thought out of his mind. I don't like boys.. I don't like boys.. He chanted, as if trying to convince himself.