A new friend

With the birth of Pinocchio, Geppetto closed up business in the workshop for a time to train himself in the art of childcare. Raising a son alone was going to be hard. But he had promised Francesca that would not go back on it. It wasn't long before word spread of the child. The Villagers, even Geppetto's most loyal customers mourned Francesca's loss, but felt joy for Geppetto and his new son. Soon, Geppetto invited his friends and neighbors to meet the little bundle of joy. They all brought gifts for both father and son. Everyone admired the boy and loved him instantly.

But contrary to popular belief, Pinocchio was still no perfect angel. Geppetto found it tougher than expected being a single parent. He barely got any sleep having to frequently be awake late at night when Pinocchio would cry. Sometimes, Pinocchio made messes when being fed. He was quite a bossy little one. If Pinocchio was unable to made happy to certain standards, he had a fit.

 If Pinocchio was unable to made happy to certain standards, he had a fit

"What am I going to do?" Geppetto asked himself in stress.

But he knew, despite everything, Pinocchio was still a sweet, happy and love able child. 

Geppetto wanted nothing more than that

Geppetto wanted nothing more than that. To keep his son happy. One thing was certain, even though Pinocchio was already a troublemaker, Geppetto couldn't love him any more or less.

One summer afternoon when Pinocchio was about 5 months old, while Pinocchio was taking a nap in the crib, Roberto, one of Geppetto's neighbors watched out for the child while Geppetto went to buy some food. On the way home, Geppetto spotted a small black and white kitten scouring through a pile of garbage. Upon closer inspection, he saw the poor thing was starving and looked very scrawny.

"There, there. Little fellow," Geppetto called sympathetically as he petted the cat's head. "Can't find enough to eat? Well, you can come home with me. I have an infant son, but I could use the extra company. I'll call you Figaro."

Geppetto lifted the cat into his arms and carried him home. He had just walked in the door when he heard Pinocchio crying. He ran up to the room to see Roberto holding him. Roberto had a worried expression on his face. Pinocchio's cries were as loud as a lion's roar and his face was as red an apple.

"I'm so sorry, Geppetto. He's been a real angel up to now. I'm not sure what happened."

"I think," added Geppetto. "That it's time to feed him. After all, nobody likes to wake up on an empty stomach. Thanks for taking care of him." Roberto handed him Pinocchio and Geppetto carried him to be fed. "Come on, Pinocchio. Time for your feeding. And there's someone new I want you to meet."

Geppetto fed Pinocchio from his bottle, then patted him on the back to burp him. Then he sat the child down on his lap, Pinocchio's hand holding the stuffed cricket doll, and then called the cat over. "Come here, Figaro. Figaro, meet Pinocchio." Figaro jumped onto Geppetto's lap and stretched his paw out onto Pinocchio's hand. The boy playfully responded with a gentle stroke on Figaro's nose. Geppetto smiled and held a rattle over the two. Figaro and Pinocchio both grasped in the air at it.

With a soft meow and quiet purr Figaro nuzzled his head on Pinocchio's face. Pinocchio sniffled the fur a little bit and let out small sneeze like a lion cub. Figaro flinched back, but he and baby Pinocchio were already getting along. Geppetto then scratched behind Figaro's ear and gave him some fish to eat.

"Pinocchio, Figaro is living with is now. Don't worry. I wouldn't abandon you for him. He's part of the family now." Pinocchio let out a soft coo and then squealed happily with a smile.

"That's right. Figaro is your new friend now. But he needs to settle in. We'll play more with him later. Now, come on. It's time for a storybook."

For the next hour, Geppetto read from a storybook about a beautiful princess and a brave prince who braved a long journey to slay a terrifying dragon and earn the hand of the princess in marriage.

"And so," read Geppetto. "They all lived happily ever. The End."

Pinocchio let out a squeal and wanted to play with Figaro again. So Pinocchio and Figaro spent the rest of the afternoon together under Geppetto's supervision. Soon, later that evening, Pinocchio let out a yawn and started falling asleep. He was very tired. They both were and they were cuddled against each other. Geppetto picked up Pinocchio, changed him into some footsie pajamas and put him in the crib.

"Oh, I forgot. I need a bed to make for Figaro. So where should he sleep? Figaro, would you like to sleep with me or with Pinocchio?"

With a slight meow and a nod, Figaro signaled he wanted to sleep in Pinocchio's crib. Pinocchio even reached out his arms that he wanted Figaro with him.

"Well, alright. But be gentle, both of you." And so Geppetto put Figaro close to Pinocchio. One arm from the child closed around the small kitten. The other hand still holding the cricket doll. Cuddled together. Both fell asleep happily.

As Geppetto prepared himself for bed, he looked up at the skies above and spoke.

"My darling Francesca. I know I have not been quite completely prepared for what it would be like to raise him alone, but I feel I've done the best I could so far. Pinocchio is a troublesome, but sweet child. He's only a baby, so of course he's a handful, but he'll grow out of this little phase. You'd love him very much if only you could see him now. And I helped him make a friend today. His name is Figaro and he's only a tiny little kitty. But they already love each other. I'll keep trying for you, my dear. I have not forgotten my promise. I wouldn't sell or abandon Pinocchio even just to bring you back. Good night, my dear. I know you'll be watching still. And so will I."