twenty-two.

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,
a single gunshot.

Aiden allowed her knife to make home in the skull of a walker. The walkers had taken down another cow and was feasting on it.

T-Dog, Daryl, Andrea, and Shane all killed the others.

The walkers around the cow stood and the others took their rage out on them. Aiden stood back and watched as T-Dog, Andrea, Daryl all kicked it before Shane finally killed it.

»

Aiden watched as Shane approached her. "What do you want?" She asked him.

"To tell you that Carl thinks it's his fault Dale died." He replied and Aiden raised an eyebrow at him.

"Why would he think that?" Aiden asked him as he sat beside her.

"He stole a gun from Daryl's motorcycle and went into the woods. He saw the walker that killed Dale. Said it was stuck in mud, that it got free and tried to get him." Shane told her. "What's going on with you and Daryl?"

Aiden didn't say anything. "Daryl's Daryl. He's a lone wolf, really. I'm just there for him."

"Ain't the way I see. I see y'all holdin' hands, Aiden. I ain't blind." Shane said to her.

"I don't know what to tell you. Want me to say, "oh yeah, I have to biggest crush on Daryl"? Well, I can't because it's not a crush. I don't know what the hell I feel for that man. I'm just scared of repeating Dalton." Aiden mumbled.

She felt Shane grab her hand. "No one is gonna lay a hand on you as long as I'm alive."

»

Daryl walked up to Aiden and stared at her face. "What?" She asked.

"You look better." Daryl stated. Aiden quirked an eyebrow at his statement.

"Are you saying I don't always look good?" She questioned with a sly smirk.

Daryl's became flustered as he stammered. "N-no. I-I mean you look better from your cold."

"I'm just teasing you, Dare. Don't worry, I know what you meant." Daryl sighed at her words.

"You think we'll be okay?" She suddenly asked.

"Maybe one day." Daryl said.

"You think, despite everything, we could make something outta this?" Aiden asked him.

"What do ya mean?" Daryl asked her with furrowed brows.

"Me and you." She quickly said, messing with fingers. "Us. You think we could make something outta this?"

Daryl watched her for a moment. He had been confused about how he felt towards Aiden Walsh for a long time. He knew she was beautiful and smart and a great leader. But he also knew she was reckless and stupid and wouldn't hesitate to give her life for the people she loved.