Addison Apartments

Jasper Jenkins entered the slightly-run-down apartment building, her shoes squeaking against the linoleum from the rain. Her lips turned down into a frown, shaking her head to get the rain off of her hair.

"See honey, it's not that bad! Just wait till we get to our place, you'll come to love it!" Jasper's mom said as she came in behind her, carrying a giant garbage bag full of clothes.

"Okay, mom."

"Come on, I'll show you to the place."

Her mom walked ahead of her and to the elevator, Jasper following behind her, shoulders drooping and her frown deepening. Her anxiety spiked as they walked further into the building and entered the elevator and made their way to the second floor. Once there, the younger girl was lead to the room 204, where her mom set down the bag and pulled out her key ring, unlocking the door after.

"Tada!" Jasper's mom said as she opened the door, throwing up some jazz hands and a big smile.

The daughter walked in and looked around, crossing her arms and staring at her mom.

"You said it was like a five star hotel, mom, this isn't better!" Jasper replied, voice raising as tears welled up in her eyes.

She didn't mean to sound ungrateful considering why they are here. Things just were too difficult for her to handle right now.

"I... I know, honey, I'm sorry. This was just super close to my new job and was cheap."

"I know, mom, I'm the one who should be sorry. I know after the whole thing with dad it's been very hard for you. I'll try and be more enthusiastic."

"Thanks, dear. Hey, I heard there's a lot of other kids your age here, why don't you go mingle while I get unpacked here and go get some groceries?"

"I... okay..."

Jasper turned on her heel and walked back towards the door, waving to her mom, then headed out. She huffed and started walking towards the elevator again when she spotted what she assumed to be a janitor.

"Hi, I'm Jasper," she said, a smile on her lips as she approached the lady.

"Well, hello there, you must be the daughter of Emma. I met your mom when she first came to look at the place."

"Yep, that's me. Just thought I'd walk around and meet people. My mom said there were kids here my age."

"Ah yes! Larry, my son, and his good friend Sal, who recently moved in as well. They're probably down in the basement where we live hanging out. Why don't you go say hi? Your mom already met Larry."

"Sure! Thank you..."

"Lisa, my name is Lisa. Let me put in my key card so you can get down there."

Lisa set aside her mop and opened the elevator then proceeded to help the younger girl get down to the basement.

Once down there, she heard the familiar sounds of a band she loves and she smiled, making her way over to the only door she could see. The teen opened the door and walked in, closed it behind her then headed to the room where the source of music was coming from. She also smelt the tell-tale signs of marijuana hanging in the air. Her fist raised to the door and she let out a couple of hard knocks. The music abruptly stopped and there was shuffling before a voice rung out.

"Come in!"

Jasper did just that, opening the door and sliding in.

"Uh, hi, Lisa told me to come down here and say hi. I'm Jasper and I just moved in..." Jasper said, clearing her throat.